Continous Recording EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 8th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #1
New Boot

Continous Recording EX1

Hi,

Ive been shooting some seminars lately that go for around 2 hours.

My work flow is follows, 2 - 8GB Cards Mac Book Pro with 1TB external.

I record at 1080 25P so get around 28mins a card.

Heres my problem.

First card is full, i switch slots, this is ok as i pull it out the full card and put it in my mac and use xdcam transfer to unwrap it.

When I have transferred it to my mac i put the card back in my EX1, at this point still full.

When the second card gets full I am switching slots then frantically fumbling through the menu to delete all clips so i can continue recording on the previous card.

Each subsequent card change follows the same process.

Is there something i am missing, can i delete the card using xdcam transfer?

Cause i dont think you can delete a card if the slot hasnt been chosen while you are still recording on the other card / slot.

Im sure others have come across this...

Any guidance, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dustin Gray
Dustin Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #2

Dustin, can't you use one of your Video Out connections and go straight out to your Mac?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Using the pc i delete after transfer and check using clip browser, so therefore i put an empty card back into slot a.

Well i used to do this, now i just carry a load of sdhc cards, no more offloading on location.

Paul.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Can't you just to go "my computer" select the "Removable Disk" slot the card is assigned to and go in and delete everything manually? Works with every other kind of card I've tried.
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Why not delete the clips while the card is still in your Mac? Verify the transfer, then delete the clips, and put the card back in the camera. Done.

However, if you are going to keep shooting long seminars, I would suggest a couple courses of action.

1. Purchase a Firestore. I have an FS-4 Pro HD. While I can only record at HDV levels, I get about 336 minutes of recording time.

2. Switch over to recording on SDHC cards. The methodology is here on the forum using a Kennsington 7-in-1 expresscard adapter, and MUCH cheaper SDHC cards. When the 32GB cards are released, you can use 2 of those to record the entire seminar.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Can't you just to go "my computer" select the "Removable Disk" slot the card is assigned to and go in and delete everything manually? Works with every other kind of card I've tried.
I think, you must delete with clip browser (on a pc anyway), if you delete using windows then when the card goes back into the cam it needs to be reformatted or restored (can't remember which), so this won't help Dustin's workflow.

Paul.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Major Player

You could use ShotPut Express which will copy the files and format the card (if you want) as well as eject it from your Mac.

That's what I use and it works great.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I think, you must delete with clip browser (on a pc anyway), if you delete using windows then when the card goes back into the cam it needs to be reformatted or restored (can't remember which), so this won't help Dustin's workflow.

Paul.
You are fine deleting the BPAV-folder using your computer. If the camera wants to restore the card - just let it.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
You are fine deleting the BPAV-folder using your computer. If the camera wants to restore the card - just let it.
Thanks everyone for your advise, its great to learn from those out in the field already doing it.

Ok, Im a little nervous doing this as I mucked around with the file contents of a card once before (was on a pc), and the EX1 would no longer recognize it, came up with some error code.

I eventually got it to work through trial and error of trying to mount it different ways through both clip browser and xdcam transfer and have been shy to even touch the card ever since as i thought id almost blown $800 AUD.

So you recommend to just trash the BPAV folder, eject the card and the put it back in the EX1?

I guess the camera will ask you to restore the media???

If this is what people are doing regularly then I will do it.

Cheers

Dustin
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Trustee

Ditto on ShotPut software (I'm on PC side.)

It also allows to *verify* the data offloaded, before formatting the card. (and, you can offload up to 3 different locations simultaneously, making data backups in real time.) Peace of mind...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Ditto on ShotPut software (I'm on PC side.)

It also allows to *verify* the data offloaded, before formatting the card. (and, you can offload up to 3 different locations simultaneously, making data backups in real time.) Peace of mind...
hmm... that does sound reasurring, im always double and triple checking to make sure ive got the data, closing my eyes and hoping im deleting the right card when i put it back in the slot.

Sounds like it might solve a few of my issues in one hit.

I will see if they have an OSX version.

Cheers

Dustin
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Major Player

Suggestion 1:

Once you've verified that your media is on your laptop and backed up version 2 if you feel secure doing this, put the SxS card back into the camera and re format it whilst recording -why wait until the second card is full? It's quite safe, the camera only offers you the option to format the card that is not busy recording.

Suggestion 2:

Buy 2 Kensington Express card readers and 4 Sandisk 16gb Ultra II 15mbs cards, seminars after this are no problem - 58mins of HQ per card or 80 mins in SP - costs about £150 for the lot.

Paul
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Major Player

I use a MacBook Pro's Express card slot for the SxS and after I copy my BPAV to my external drive, I make sure it's all there and then delete the BPAV off the SxS then eject and put back in the Camera and no format or anything needed. Just works great!!!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
Suggestion 1:

Once you've verified that your media is on your laptop and backed up version 2 if you feel secure doing this, put the SxS card back into the camera and re format it whilst recording -why wait until the second card is full? It's quite safe, the camera only offers you the option to format the card that is not busy recording.

Suggestion 2:

Buy 2 Kensington Express card readers and 4 Sandisk 16gb Ultra II 15mbs cards, seminars after this are no problem - 58mins of HQ per card or 80 mins in SP - costs about £150 for the lot.

Paul
I too use the above method. Never had a problem. Just eject the SxS card from your laptop. Place it back in the camera, reformat the card. Just did this on a 2 day shoot. The shoot involved many interviews. Hardware i had at my disposal, 1- 17 inch Macpro laptop. 1- 500 gig Lacie external drive. 4- 8 gig SxS Sony cards.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
Inner Circle

As you can see there's a few ways to handle this.

First though I'd recommend using ClipBrowser and copying and NOT using XDCAM Transfer directly from card. Do that and you've lost your BPAV masters. Those MOV files will ONLY work in FCP thereby severely limiting their portability (or you'll have to buy that new product I heard about).

You can delete the clips from SXS in ClipBrowser. In my experience if you delete BPAV from finder you may get a Restore Media command. Another post seems to say otherwise though. My understanding is that the camera still expects the folder structure so deleting folders would trigger a Restore Media command or so I thought. That's also why if you name/rename the SXS card you'll get the Restore Media command the next time you insert the card. Changing the name apparently impacts how the camera views the path to the folders.

You can actually Reformat one card in camera while the other card is recording, if you happen to put back a full card in. You can't delete clips in camera on one card while the other is recording though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds