Should footage be this noisey? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
As far as appearing "sharpened" f/1.9 (the first post's screengrab) vs. f/4 will get you a lot more depth of field and therefore more objects will be in focus in your video. Between f/2.8 and f/8 is the "sweet spot" of video lenses and you're there.
I'm pretty familiar with depth of field, but the entire image was looking like detail was being applied. When I returned to the pp menu, detail was in fact on, even though i specifically remember turning it off.

The noise does seem to have gone away when I used the halogen, it's like if the overall image is darker then a crapload of noise shows up in the shadows
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
I've been starting to notice noise in the picture, and not gainey noise, it's showing up at 0db. (please don't tell me to shoot at -3db, it limits superwhites to ~90IRE, and obviously drops exposure)

The attached picture is straight from an EX1 sitting on my desk, 1080/24p shutter off 0db gain, f/1.9. The picture profile is Bills TC2, detail off, with blacks at -2. Do you see all that noise in the shadows, specifically the wall? Should that be there?

Also completely unrelated, I've been having trouble in general getting that ridiculously good looking look out of the camera that people seem to effortlessly get. (Yes, including grading) It's like I have something in the picture profile set horribly wrong.

http://fohdeesha.com/data/pictures/other/noise.png
Aside from all the other things people have noted, you'll always get noise in shadows. The lowest range from a sensor is really about at what level is noise unacceptable in the shadows. As is noted too, blue sensitivity is a fundamental characteristic of silicon sensors. So low tungsten light and shadows are the worst combination for this. It's also not just the EX1, everything to a degree is similar. The nice thing about the EX1 is that it is a 3 sensor camera so analogue gain can be just applied to the blue sensor without affecting the others - difficult in a single sensor design.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
I'm pretty familiar with depth of field, but the entire image was looking like detail was being applied. When I returned to the pp menu, detail was in fact on, even though i specifically remember turning it off.

The noise does seem to have gone away when I used the halogen, it's like if the overall image is darker then a crapload of noise shows up in the shadows
Jon,

Have a look at this:

Teapot Dark on Vimeo

Download the original file if you like. I'd be curious to see what you think of it in comparison to your scene.
Old October 11th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

That looks excellent Perrone, were you shooting at 0db? I think my original noisey image was due to balancing to yellowish light, detail being on, and perhaps a couple other things. I'm getting better results now that I changed a couple things.
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Jon,

Have a look at this:

Teapot Dark on Vimeo

Download the original file if you like. I'd be curious to see what you think of it in comparison to your scene.
Perrone,
What was the color temp for the bulb you chose?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds