DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New buyer: a few questions on the EX1/EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135500-new-buyer-few-questions-ex1-ex3.html)

Jeroen Wolf October 9th, 2008 07:13 AM

New buyer: a few questions on the EX1/EX3

I apologize in advance for not being able to find this topic (I'm sure this has been discussed) ...

Is there a big difference between the lens on the EX1 and the EX3? (the salesperson said that the 1500,- or so price difference was mainly because of the Fujinon lens on the EX3)

I held an EX3 today and found it a little small for shoulderwork. Does it work well with a shoulder support? (I have a Varizoom VZ-LSP that I currently use with my Z1)

There are some major advantages to buying the EX3 over the EX1 such as: removable lenses, viewfinder, 'shoulder-model', better controls.

I don't use other lenses, I almost always work with the LCD screen and I own a shouldersupport. Is there nonetheless a reason for me to buy the EX3 over the EX1?

Can people think of advantages of an EX1 over an EX3? I'll start with three obvious ones: it's cheaper, it's lighter and it's less conspicuous.

Thanks for your input,

Jeroen Wolf

Jay Gladwell October 9th, 2008 07:25 AM

You've already listed the major advantages of the EX3 over the EX1. Invariably, threads like this turn into a product fanboy agrument.

It's obvious you've done some homework on the two cameras. Only you know what your personal requirement and budget are. Select the camera that fits YOU best.

What else can be said?

Perrone Ford October 9th, 2008 07:28 AM

I have an EX1. But for me, the EX3s major benefits are it's abilities to work with external timecode. Thus simplifying working with more than one camera, or working with an external audio recording device.

If you shoot multicamera, or you might, or you shoot dual system, I think the extra money is well spent. The replaceable lens is nice, but I can buy a 35mm adapter and good lenses for the EX1 should that become something I actually need. And that option will cost less also.

I cannot comment on the EX3's shoulder use since I've never used it that way, but the EX1 can be used on a shoulder brace also and it still weighs less.

Both good cameras though.

Les Nagy October 9th, 2008 07:33 AM

The EX3 has better control layout, direct access to over and undercranking, doors that will close over express card to SD card adapters, some better I/O connectors, and a more professional appearance when it is needed for those clients who judge you on the size of your camera. The lens is the same on both cameras, it's just that it is removable on the EX3.

The EX3 is heavier and harder to pack for travel, plus its much more expensive. An EX3 costs almost as much ($600 less) as getting an EX1 plus a Glidecam system like this:
Glidecam | X-10 Dual Support Arm Stabilizer Vest - with Glidecam

They have the same image quality. You should pick between them based on how you intend to shoot. I strongly suggest you spend 15 minutes holding and trying to shoot with both at a store before making up your mind.

Paul Curtis October 9th, 2008 07:39 AM

Jeroen,

I believed the lenses to be the same between the EX1 and EX3 other than one can be removed. I don't see why they'd change the glass in the lens at all.

There aren't that many lens options for the EX3 from a practical perspective and the standard lens is actually pretty good.

If you don't see yourself changing lenses then why not go for the EX1 and then spend the extra on other bits and pieces?

I went through the 'should i sell my EX1 and get an EX3' but when it came down to it i really couldn't see why.

cheers
paul

Mark David Williams October 9th, 2008 07:51 AM

In my opinion the only reason to buy an EX3 is if you need interchangeable lenses I too was very disapointed with Sony for bringing out the EX3 soon after the EX1 But when I realized the cost and the price of an adapter I realized what a bargain the EX1 is and for little extra over the letus extreme.. If you want a monitor and sometimes I do you can attach an external one. In my case I put mine on the handle with a clamp.

Ted OMalley October 9th, 2008 08:15 AM

I chose the EX3 and am very glad I did - the viewfinder adds tremendous value. That said, I would like an EX1 as a second camera as well! It's easier to transport, more compact, and the two would complement each other nicely.

David Chia October 9th, 2008 08:31 AM

if you said that you will be only using one lens. I'll go for the EX1 and add a redrock shoulder support, better if you add with the rod support and mattebox from redrock, it is still cheaper then the EX3. and it looks so much more pimp up.

Paul Curtis October 9th, 2008 09:04 AM

I think despite the nice LCD viewfinder i would put the extra saved to an external HD monitor. Critical focus is still pretty tough despite the LCD being very good. There are so many non camera bits and pieces that would improve the images you could take.

cheers
paul

Arild Pedersen October 9th, 2008 09:14 AM

TCin-out on EX3

The TCin and TCout plugs on the EX3 are important when recording interviews using two cameras. One coax cable and everything is in sync

Jay Gladwell October 9th, 2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis (Post 948817)
Critical focus is still pretty tough despite the LCD being very good.

My brief experience with the EX3 has proven that such is not the case. Having said that, your mileage may vary.

Ted OMalley October 9th, 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 948823)
My brief experience with the EX3 has proven that such is not the case. Having said that, your mileage may vary.

I have to agree with Jay. Occassionally I also use the "expanded focus" feature, but with a little peaking in the monitor/viewfinder, critical focus has been great for me. My previous cameras, JVC HD100 series, made focusing impossible without an external monitor. No longer a problem.

Jeroen Wolf October 10th, 2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis (Post 948778)
Jeroen,

I believed the lenses to be the same between the EX1 and EX3 other than one can be removed. I don't see why they'd change the glass in the lens at all.

paul

I went to the Sony dealer to discuss both camera and he told me the EX1 has a Carl-Zeiss lens (but, he added, it's really a Sony lens with a Carl-Zeiss sticker on it) and the EX3 a 'pro Fujinon' lens. ('that's what accounts for the 1500 extra', he said...)
Checked the specs and, as you say, it's the exact same lens... I'll be buying the EX1, most likely. So much for informed salesmen...

Any suggestions for a good training DVD? I was thinking Vortex media or the Noah Kadner/Call Box one. Can't get any info on the duration of the latter's dvd's, which probably means they're much shorter (they're also $50 cheaper). Not that length in and of itself is an indicator of quality, but I assume they're both good... I edit in FCP, which makes me lean toward Call Box, but then there's been some updates both from Sony and FCP that are most likely not included on the dvd. Anyone got the latest on this?

Perrone Ford October 10th, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf (Post 949315)
I went to the Sony dealer to discuss both camera and he told me the EX1 has a Carl-Zeiss lens (but, he added, it's really a Sony lens with a Carl-Zeiss sticker on it) and the EX3 a 'pro Fujinon' lens.

I suggest you find a new dealer. The EX1 lens says Fujinon right on the side. Man, that's a pathetic upsell.

Jay Gladwell October 10th, 2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf (Post 949315)
Any suggestions for a good training DVD? I was thinking Vortex media or the Noah Kadner/Call Box one.

The Vortex Media DVD is the one to go with!