DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Outputting HD onto my HD TV --- HELP!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135506-outputting-hd-onto-my-hd-tv-help.html)

L.J. Morelli October 9th, 2008 08:54 AM

Outputting HD onto my HD TV --- HELP!!

My equipment is MacPro, and I installed a card for HDMI out. It's always hit and miss, and I can't figure out why it's so intermittent. When it works the picutre it stunning on my Pana HDtv display. The link below shows my usual flow for settings. So far, it seems just keeping at it making those selections, it will eventually work. Thank you all for any input you may have.

Morelli Media

Jon Braeley October 9th, 2008 11:34 AM

You say you do see the FCP Canvas window - even sometimes. So your video settings in the FCP menu must have the card selected as the output device, correct?

What you do not say is where your source-media is stored? It sounds like your media drive cannot keep up with the intensity card. This is not a video-card problem, but a problem of hardrive speed. If you are not using a fast-raid or fast HD, then your card will splutter, as the FCP timeline lags when played.

Also, as far as I am aware, this intensity card is not for full HD, but was made for obtaining 1080i from 720 material, ie to get from HDV to 1080i. So that could play a role in all this - if you are running EXDCAM footage.

L.J. Morelli October 9th, 2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 948889)
You say you do see the FCP Canvas window - even sometimes. So your video settings in the FCP menu must have the card selected as the output device, correct?

What you do not say is where your source-media is stored? It sounds like your media drive cannot keep up with the intensity card. This is not a video-card problem, but a problem of hardrive speed. If you are not using a fast-raid or fast HD, then your card will splutter, as the FCP timeline lags when played.

Also, as far as I am aware, this intensity card is not for full HD, but was made for obtaining 1080i from 720 material, ie to get from HDV to 1080i. So that could play a role in all this - if you are running EXDCAM footage.

Don't know if I have an answer for you. I do see the canvas window mirrored on the HDtv.
Intermittently, however. Not sputtering or stammering. Again, when it works, it's fantastic, and works flawlessly. This was a very expensive (not that that means anything) card, to provide HDMI output. Hard drive where media is, is a raid, so no problem there. BTW, it's currently working. But If I change settings for whatever reason, and try to go back to it, I have to keep my fingers crossed.

Rob Collins October 9th, 2008 02:43 PM

I have the Intensity Pro card on a Mac Pro too, paid around $350 I think. Is this what you have?

Anyway, yes, mine's buggy too. You have to have just the right configuration or it goes "offline" and I have to restart the computer to make it work again. Disappointing overall.

Especially if you do what I did: get a cheap DVI to HDMI cable and go out from the Radeon card to your HDTV. It looks as good if not better. I know, I know, it's not for critical grading, etc., but if you're just looking to impress it's great. And 1080p.