Black gold - EX1, handheld Letus Extreme at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Black gold - EX1, handheld Letus Extreme

I filmed this last weekend off the western coast of Sweden when I went Lobster fishing with some friends.
It was made purely for fun and to see if it was possible to film handheld in a small moving boat using my new Letus Extreme.

I was surpriced at how well it went despite the heavy rails and Letus and the Portabrace rain cover making it harder to get to the controls.

I did not use any kind of shoulder mount and most of the time I had the camera on my lap.

Anybody got any good advice on using the EX1 with Letus handheld?

The interview is in Swedish. Sorry!

Black gold By Ola Christoffersson On ExposureRoom
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Väldigt fint jobb. Grattis.
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Nice!

I love the interview...the composition, the color, the talent...and the fact that it is in Swedish. I can't understand what is being said, but I still enjoy watching it!
John Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Grymt bra!!

Really great!! Congrats!
What lens / lenses did you use? Also, did you use any shoulder support??
I really liked the subject matter and the audio was also really good, did you have a soundman with you, in that little boat?? Surely we didn´t hear the onboard mics??
Magnus (1.1 kg lobster is my record)
Magnus Eklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Eklof View Post
Really great!! Congrats!
What lens / lenses did you use? Also, did you use any shoulder support??
I really liked the subject matter and the audio was also really good, did you have a soundman with you, in that little boat?? Surely we didn´t hear the onboard mics??
Magnus (1.1 kg lobster is my record)
Magnus - that's a big lobster! It is nice to see that there are some Swedes on the forum!

No, I did not use a shoulder support. I have one but since it is important to have a low point of gravity when you are in a boat I decided against it. It was a bit heavy but not too bad.
I used a Nikon Nikkor 24 mm, F2.8 all the time on the boat. For the interview I used a 50 mm, F1.4 Nikkor and for the shot of the boat going out and coming back in I used a 105 mm, Nikkor F2.5.

I used one wireless lavalier microphone (MKE2 with evolution II transmitter) that I let the guys on the boat take turn wearing and had a Sennheiser shotgun (K6-ME64) mounted on the camera.

Alfredo and Magnus - are you both based in Stockholm? It's nice to know what fellow EX1/3 owners there are nearby. What do you do? PM me if you don't want to talk on this thread.
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Major Player

beautiful!
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Very, very nice! Let me guess... graded using Magic Bullet? :)
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
Very, very nice! Let me guess... graded using Magic Bullet? :)
Nope, Avid Media Composers buildt in colour corrector. Am curious about Magic Bullet though. Think I will try it soon.
Old October 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Nope, Avid Media Composers buildt in colour corrector. Am curious about Magic Bullet though. Think I will try it soon.
I doubt you need Magic Bullet since you achieved a pretty classic Magic Bullet look without it. :)
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Major Player

New improved high qual version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
I doubt you need Magic Bullet since you achieved a pretty classic Magic Bullet look without it. :)
Thanks Tyler!

I was actually not very happy with the grading of the actual interview so I did some tweaking today. The Exposure room clip is still the old version but anyone who is interested in the "new and imporved version" can download a huge WMV-file in true 1080p, 15 Mb/s here: http://kamrat.tv/video/tillfalligt/BlackGold1080p.wmv
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes Ola I'm in Stockholm with my Ex1, and try as a freelancer :) and I been thinking in buy the Letus, perhaps in Linqvist. hehe. Sound Familiar? hehe.
Its great to see your work.
Congrats.
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi from Goteborg!

Hi Ola!
No I´m in Goteborg, guarding the front-gate of the kingdom!
Coming from still-photography, advertising/corporate/industrial, breaking into videography as an additional service to my industrial clients, they send me to all sorts of weird places around the world for corporate stills work and want moving images as well, steep learning curve! You can see some of my work, mostly marine/industrial at my european reps´ website; www.allucinazione.net > represented > Magnus Eklof.
Just PM me for additional info...
Magnus
Magnus Eklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #13
New Boot

Changing lenses on the spot

Dear Ola,
Great pictures indeed. I am thinking myself of going for a EX1 + Letus configuration, and I was wondering how easy you found it to change lenses on the spot with this setup. Would you rather use a zoom lens ? Thanks a lot
Francesco.
Francesco Ragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #14
Trustee

NIce editing work, the story hangs together well, even though I can't understand a word of it.

Colours are bit too strong for my taste, but work well with the subject matter. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Trustee

Beautiful! Question.....did you use a special Picture Profile? Or just the stock default setting?

Really nice looking piece of work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds