DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Black gold - EX1, handheld Letus Extreme (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135630-black-gold-ex1-handheld-letus-extreme.html)

Ola Christoffersson October 11th, 2008 06:26 PM

Black gold - EX1, handheld Letus Extreme

I filmed this last weekend off the western coast of Sweden when I went Lobster fishing with some friends.
It was made purely for fun and to see if it was possible to film handheld in a small moving boat using my new Letus Extreme.

I was surpriced at how well it went despite the heavy rails and Letus and the Portabrace rain cover making it harder to get to the controls.

I did not use any kind of shoulder mount and most of the time I had the camera on my lap.

Anybody got any good advice on using the EX1 with Letus handheld?

The interview is in Swedish. Sorry!

Black gold By Ola Christoffersson On ExposureRoom

Alfredo Silva October 11th, 2008 08:42 PM

Väldigt fint jobb. Grattis.

John Iverson October 11th, 2008 09:23 PM

Nice!

I love the interview...the composition, the color, the talent...and the fact that it is in Swedish. I can't understand what is being said, but I still enjoy watching it!

Magnus Eklof October 12th, 2008 04:08 AM

Grymt bra!!

Really great!! Congrats!
What lens / lenses did you use? Also, did you use any shoulder support??
I really liked the subject matter and the audio was also really good, did you have a soundman with you, in that little boat?? Surely we didn´t hear the onboard mics??
Magnus (1.1 kg lobster is my record)

Ola Christoffersson October 12th, 2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus Eklof (Post 949869)
Really great!! Congrats!
What lens / lenses did you use? Also, did you use any shoulder support??
I really liked the subject matter and the audio was also really good, did you have a soundman with you, in that little boat?? Surely we didn´t hear the onboard mics??
Magnus (1.1 kg lobster is my record)

Magnus - that's a big lobster! It is nice to see that there are some Swedes on the forum!

No, I did not use a shoulder support. I have one but since it is important to have a low point of gravity when you are in a boat I decided against it. It was a bit heavy but not too bad.
I used a Nikon Nikkor 24 mm, F2.8 all the time on the boat. For the interview I used a 50 mm, F1.4 Nikkor and for the shot of the boat going out and coming back in I used a 105 mm, Nikkor F2.5.

I used one wireless lavalier microphone (MKE2 with evolution II transmitter) that I let the guys on the boat take turn wearing and had a Sennheiser shotgun (K6-ME64) mounted on the camera.

Alfredo and Magnus - are you both based in Stockholm? It's nice to know what fellow EX1/3 owners there are nearby. What do you do? PM me if you don't want to talk on this thread.

Erik Phairas October 12th, 2008 02:29 PM

beautiful!

Tyler Franco October 12th, 2008 05:52 PM

Very, very nice! Let me guess... graded using Magic Bullet? :)

Ola Christoffersson October 13th, 2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Franco (Post 950229)
Very, very nice! Let me guess... graded using Magic Bullet? :)

Nope, Avid Media Composers buildt in colour corrector. Am curious about Magic Bullet though. Think I will try it soon.

Tyler Franco October 13th, 2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 950515)
Nope, Avid Media Composers buildt in colour corrector. Am curious about Magic Bullet though. Think I will try it soon.

I doubt you need Magic Bullet since you achieved a pretty classic Magic Bullet look without it. :)

Ola Christoffersson October 13th, 2008 12:16 PM

New improved high qual version

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Franco (Post 950680)
I doubt you need Magic Bullet since you achieved a pretty classic Magic Bullet look without it. :)

Thanks Tyler!

I was actually not very happy with the grading of the actual interview so I did some tweaking today. The Exposure room clip is still the old version but anyone who is interested in the "new and imporved version" can download a huge WMV-file in true 1080p, 15 Mb/s here: http://kamrat.tv/video/tillfalligt/BlackGold1080p.wmv

Alfredo Silva October 13th, 2008 03:07 PM

Yes Ola I'm in Stockholm with my Ex1, and try as a freelancer :) and I been thinking in buy the Letus, perhaps in Linqvist. hehe. Sound Familiar? hehe.
Its great to see your work.
Congrats.

Magnus Eklof October 14th, 2008 02:01 AM

Hi from Goteborg!

Hi Ola!
No I´m in Goteborg, guarding the front-gate of the kingdom!
Coming from still-photography, advertising/corporate/industrial, breaking into videography as an additional service to my industrial clients, they send me to all sorts of weird places around the world for corporate stills work and want moving images as well, steep learning curve! You can see some of my work, mostly marine/industrial at my european reps´ website; www.allucinazione.net > represented > Magnus Eklof.
Just PM me for additional info...
Magnus

Francesco Ragazzi January 27th, 2009 08:39 AM

Changing lenses on the spot

Dear Ola,
Great pictures indeed. I am thinking myself of going for a EX1 + Letus configuration, and I was wondering how easy you found it to change lenses on the spot with this setup. Would you rather use a zoom lens ? Thanks a lot
Francesco.

Vincent Oliver January 27th, 2009 04:02 PM

NIce editing work, the story hangs together well, even though I can't understand a word of it.

Colours are bit too strong for my taste, but work well with the subject matter. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Mitchell Lewis January 29th, 2009 08:50 PM

Beautiful! Question.....did you use a special Picture Profile? Or just the stock default setting?

Really nice looking piece of work.