Rain/weather cover for the EX3. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Funny thing that,

When I found that rain slicker in the Indi kit website, they were advertising it for the ex3 and seem to have changed that????

The one from porta brace looks pretty good, but fairly pricey

the search continues
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm going to purchase this soon. When I get it, I will report.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Here is the PortaBrace rainslicker. It does appear to be "custom" made for the EX3. And it's considerably cheaper than the body armor.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:RS-EX3

Also, you need to realize that the viewfinder on the EX3 is considerably larger than the one on the XL2. I had an XL2 and a PB rainslicker. The XL2 rainslicker will NOT fit on the EX3 because the of the difference in size. I tried it. It didn't work.
Thanks Jay, you saved me making a mistake on that one.

Just recieved the CC-11 from KATA and it fits like a glove (even with the cheekpad flapped out) and hardly hampers the operation at all, although itīs a bit of a mission to get the thing on.

just bummed I canīt see the viewfinder settings from outside the slicker, a clear window(openable/velcro) would be great for that.

at 93 €īs, also quite a bit cheaper than the porta brace one
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #19
Major Player

I have always used porta brace, so I picked up the rain slicker for my ex3....its pretty sweet, fits like it should, even with the anton bauer battery on there.

with the wide eye on, it is a little large, so you have to make sure its cinched down everywhere so the front doesnt slide over the lens and start getting in the shot, but thats pretty easy to avoid.

I was also a little bummed that they used velcro underneath, instead of a zipper like I had on the cover for my HD100. but there isnt much to worry about on the bottom of the ex3, so its not a HUGE deal.

now I just need some bad weather to test it in!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I just received a rain cover for my EX-3 from Cine City in India. The build quality seems just fine, but I havenīt tested the product yet. The quality seems similar to the Porta Brace cover I used on my Canon XL2 a few years back. Like everything else in the video world itīs all about preferences, but for me a rain cover is just an option occasionally. Someone who does a lot of nature work would be wise to spend some time to find a more specialized product, I guess.

Here is the web address: The CineCity*::*DV/HDV Rain covers

At least the price is acceptable, and they have quite a few other interesting video accessories as well.

-terje
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I have just come back from a 2 week shoot on a Ice breaker in the North Sea,
Loads of Snow, rain and wind. Minus 8 celsius most days.
I used a Kata RC-10 with my EX3, it was great.
Yes it's a bit "bagy" in places but I found that ideal, as I use a Mattebox and rails.
Plus when you have wet weather gear on and thick gloves there was plenty of room
underneath the cover to operate the camera.
Plus you can attach a camera strap, which is usefull when having to climb ladders
and stuff!
I can recomend it.
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #22
Major Player

I just bought the Kata RC-1 for my EX3 & XS lens combo. Together with the VF Gadgets' base plate and radio mic receiver, the kit is quite long. The RC-1 Gobbles it up with loads of hand/arm room under, in front and behind the cover to access all buttons & controls of the camera. It is big enough to easily accommodate a future Matte Box as well.

The cover has lots of velcro & cord adjustments and the mic cover fits my on camera external ECM-673 with the Rycote Softie and the viewfinder cover fits the eyepiece perfectly.

My camera kit is not going to get smaller, so the RC-1 is the best choice for my requirements.
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #23
Inner Circle

There are some very snug fitting body amour style covers for the EX1 and EX3 coming very soon from Kata. I've seen the prototypes and they are very nice with clever moulded side panels, plenty of openings for easy access etc. They only protect the main camera body or body plus VF on the EX3. I find the CRC-11 works very well with my EX3.
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #24
Regular Crew

My experience

I got a Petrol rain cover last summer for assignment in Amazon Jungle (Ecuador). At the time, there was no dedicated rain covers on the market (at least non of the major brands did not have an EX1 dressed in the rain cover in their catalogs on line- so I could not see how it fits). Let alone, here in Toronto selections "in store" was very small. So I went with Petrol's cover, after trying it on the spot.
This one looked like the best fit. Funny thing is that ALL covers that I saw had the same flaw: opening between the lens and on camera mic??? Yes, a whole!
I was under the impression that I was doing something wrong when dressing the camera, but all the staff in the store did the same.
So I found a "duck tape" solution: a piece of gaffers tape placed properly, closes the gap between the lens and mic.
Cover turned out to be a great help in rainy Amazon. My EX1 came back with out being wet...
Petrol has a good product.
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds