Rain/weather cover for the EX3. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain/weather cover for the EX3.

Has anyone got or tried a good cover for the EX3 yet? Is there anything out there specifically designed for its form factor or should I just 'buy big'?

I recall that Portabrace used to have white covers at one time, to help reflect heat.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Porta-

Ahhh, I see that Portabrace has one. Is this my only choice? What do stormchasers use!?

Jus.
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm eagerly awaiting other options here as well, Justin. I believe Kata has a solution as well, but I'm not sold on any of them yet. I think the EX3 should get a 'customized' solution.
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Agreed.

Me too. Guess I'll improvise for the moment. Been stung twice now, pulling the trigger too early on EX accessories - and getting half baked solutions. From big names too.

J.
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Major Player

I started a discussion on this topic a while ago.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ction-ex3.html
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

At the moment I'm using the Kata rain cape that I have for my F350. However I do know that Kata have a new camera glove for the EX3 in the works. It's nearly ready. The CRC-11 rain cover is a good fit for a standard EX3 and the CRC-10 fits EX3's that have bigger lenses or add-ons such as battery mounts and radio mics.
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Petrol says they have a new one:
Advertisement
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
Major Player

The bag is new, but the PRC-XL raincover is the same one they've had for the XL-1/2 and the HD100 series.
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Nagy View Post
I started a discussion on this topic a while ago.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ction-ex3.html
Thanks Les.
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Ah hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
At the moment I'm using the Kata rain cape that I have for my F350. However I do know that Kata have a new camera glove for the EX3 in the works. It's nearly ready. The CRC-11 rain cover is a good fit for a standard EX3 and the CRC-10 fits EX3's that have bigger lenses or add-ons such as battery mounts and radio mics.
I just got a Kata bag for my Nikon D300 - pretty well built, so I have high hopes. Any idea of an ETA? Thinking I'll be needing one in the UK from next week or soon after.

J.
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The CRC-10 and CRC-11 are available now. The camera glove is a little way off yet. The Glove is designed for protection from day to day wear and getting caught out in the rain. It is not a full rain cover. For proper rain protection you should use the CRC-10 or CRC-11.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey yīall

look what I found, from INDIKIT...
Indikit

Itīs not custom, but from what Iīve looked at so far, not bad value for money.
What I really like about it, other than the price, is that there is a sleeve for the left had, so shoulder work is made easier.
Still havenīt found anything with a clear window to scope the viewfinder settings if need be.

Porta Brace has got a body armor for the EX3, with intigrated rain slicker, but I donīt really like the look, or the price of the thing (looks like a rather loose scrotum)
PortaBrace - Product Detail:CBA-EX3

From Petrol, this one looks interesting, but again not custom
http://www.petrolbags.com/bigPic.htm.../PRC-XL-01.jpg

The CRC-11 from KATA, I have used a vera similar one on the EX1 and believe me, I havenīt sworn so much during a shoot in a long time, with only 1 entry point for left and right hands, it really hampers the issue considerably when shooting handheld.
The drawstring on the lens opening tends to make itself known in the shots now and then, which is not at all cool, one can tuck it inside the slicker, but this can be easily overlooked.
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

I was unable to find anything decent from Walkart.

I reckon Iīm gonna go for the first option

Anyone got any good ideas for a backpack for the EX3, It does just fit into the KATA BP 207, but doesnīt leave much space for anything else.
The Guy who sold me the cam recommended the KATA BP 602, but that is just too much backpack, I need to be able to ride back country on an Enduro Bike or snowboard with the thing on my back.
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #13

Here is the PortaBrace rainslicker. It does appear to be "custom" made for the EX3. And it's considerably cheaper than the body armor.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:RS-EX3

Also, you need to realize that the viewfinder on the EX3 is considerably larger than the one on the XL2. I had an XL2 and a PB rainslicker. The XL2 rainslicker will NOT fit on the EX3 because the of the difference in size. I tried it. It didn't work.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Here is the PortaBrace rainslicker. It does appear to be "custom" made for the EX3. And it's considerably cheaper than the body armor.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:RS-EX3

Also, you need to realize that the viewfinder on the EX3 is considerably larger than the one on the XL2. I had an XL2 and a PB rainslicker. The XL2 rainslicker will NOT fit on the EX3 because the of the difference in size. I tried it. It didn't work.
thats the one I was looking at. would love to know if its worth it.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Major Player

I hadn't seen that one!

That's good that were beginning to see custom solutions for the EX3 - it is a somewhat unique body style/form factor.

I am most interested in getting a 'body armour' that is resistant to a little bit of weather, that I can leave on all the time, and accomodatesaccess to controls, jacks, ports, etc. Perhaps what I'm looking for is more like a 'glove' that you might purchase for a cell phone or ipod.

If anyone sees this or has found this, I'm interested. I don't think that the Porta-Brace body armour is there yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds