DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   i.Link HDV out - ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/135999-i-link-hdv-out.html)

Ted OMalley October 13th, 2008 08:36 AM

i.Link HDV out - ??

Upon receiving my EX3, I actually read the entire manual. I'm not saying that this is some kind of Herculean feat -- It's just something I don't normally do. In doing so, I came across instructions for using the i.Link HDV output for recording.

To paraphrase, one must:

1. Select an SP mode (I chose SP 1080/60i)
2. Enable i.Link I/O (Menu -> Others)
3. Set "Trigger Mode" to "Both" or "External"
4. Prep software for recording (I have done this with Sony Vegas in the past - works well)
5. Set Camera to Camera Mode
6. Press REC Start/Stop button.

This process is not effective in that, for some reason, the i.Link is NEVER recognized by the computer. It is as though the camera is not hooked up. Windows does not provide any indication that a firewire device has been attached. I've tried a couple of cables (ones that I've never had a problem with before), and two different PC's.

I have also tried disabling the HD/SDI output and monitor output, and then disabling and re-enabling the i.Link. If I had to make a guess at this point, I'd guess that the Firewire port is not enabled on my camera.

Ted OMalley October 13th, 2008 08:53 AM

Of course, now that I've posted, one of the computers (my notebook) began to work with the camera's i.Link - but I don't know why. I didn't change anything, both PC's run Vista 64-bit and are using Vegas 8.1 64-bit. Hmmm.

Now, on one computer, if I go select File --> Capture Video, and then select HDV, I am connected. I can choose the device by right-clicking, and choosing Device --> IEEE 1394/MPEG2-TS Device --> Sony PMW-EX3. That's right - it fully recognized the camera.

Sadly, there was no preview - just a blue-screen during the capture. However, it did record to the drive and I could then drop the recorded files onto the timeline.

Of course, this is only helpful for some situations when SQ recording is acceptable and going direct to a PC is critical.

Perrone Ford October 13th, 2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 950597)
Of course, this is only helpful for some situations when SQ recording is acceptable and going direct to a PC is critical.

Or in my case, going directly to the Firestore I already own, saving me thousands of dollars in SxS card costs. What this effectively allows you to do, is to record 720p to nearly any HDV capable recording source. Whether that be tape, or whatever else. Yes, SQ mode isn't where you'd necessarily want to be, but for talking head work, or other things it's just fine.

Honestly, the new SDHC card option will make this unnecessary in short order.

Piotr Wozniacki October 13th, 2008 09:29 AM

Perrone, 720p is a HQ mode on the EX1, so you can't ingest it via iLINK.

The only HDV-compatible modes are SP 1080i (50/60/24PsF).

Perrone Ford October 13th, 2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 950622)
Perrone, 720p is a HQ mode on the EX1, so you can't ingest it via iLINK.

The only HDV-compatible modes are SP 1080i (50/60/24PsF).

Yes, you are correct. I am sorry. Sadly, I am in the midst of a project I just did this with and STILL forgot I ingested at 1440x1080...

It must be Monday!