DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   High shutter speeds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136011-high-shutter-speeds.html)

Darek Sepiolo October 13th, 2008 10:54 AM

High shutter speeds

I was just wondering if using 1/250 or 1/500 or even 1/1000 rather then 1/50 (as recommended for the film look) will have any negative impact on the video? Assuming I've got enough light I understand that with higher shutter speed the single frame will be sharper. I've made some test and I can't see any significant difference while playing shots made with 1/50 or 1/500. Or am I missing something?

I shot HQ 1080 25p

Thank you for your help.

Alister Chapman October 13th, 2008 03:00 PM

The shots will only look sharper with moving objects or if the camera is moving as a short shutter means less motion blur. The trade off is that motion looks stuttery or appears to strobe at high shutter speeds.

Dominik Seibold October 13th, 2008 05:43 PM

"saving private ryan"-stress-scenes-look

Dave Morrison October 13th, 2008 07:09 PM

"Gladiator" had a lot of that look, too.

Erik Phairas October 14th, 2008 06:55 PM

I was just playing with that. 720 60p 1/2000... don't even need an ND filter in direct sunlight it set up like that... LOL You could pan as fast as you want but if you pause the video, razor sharp. Be nice for shooting drag racing or something.

Darek Sepiolo October 14th, 2008 07:07 PM

So what is your suggestion? What is the acceptable highest shutter speed not to get the strobe look?
Thank you

Erik Phairas October 14th, 2008 07:12 PM

Is there a reason you want it set so high? High shutters give you a specific look, if you don't want that look use a slower shutter.

Otherwise, just do like I do... I sit in the backyard and just try it all until you see something you like. :)

Darek Sepiolo October 15th, 2008 07:25 AM

There is a simple reason I'm asking about the high shutter speeds. I mainly shoot underwater and I dont have an access to ND filter at my housing so the only way to balance the high light is to use high shutter speeds.

Perrone Ford October 15th, 2008 07:44 AM

Why not just use the auto iris? F22 on thesurface to F2 at depth is a LOT of latitude.

Darek Sepiolo October 15th, 2008 11:52 AM

I do use auto iris. Then you're talking about F1.9 to 16. Anything above F11 and the image is getting less sharp so it's down to 1.9 - 11. It's not that easy to manualy focus underwater so the optimum apreture is betweem 5.6 and 8 to get wider DOF. I tried to adjust the ND filter before each dive but it happened that I ended up with low light so the easiest solution would be to use the shutter. That's why I was asking about high speeds.

Perrone Ford October 15th, 2008 12:58 PM

Ah ok, I gotcha. Lack of light is a killer. Well, best of luck with your shutter speed changes. It's not idea, but if it's what you have....

David A. Smith October 18th, 2008 04:01 AM

forgive me if this is really dumb, but is there a way you could place ND on the outside of the housing? Maybe mount a 4x4 filter holder? Or would water between the housing and filter distort the image?

Ted OMalley October 18th, 2008 11:23 AM

I'd think that this could introduce some reflections in the lens, as well as causing the lens to inadvertantly focus on the filter. But very interesting idea, nonetheless. I'd be interested in seeing the results of testing this!