does anyone know how to recover deleted footage from sxs cards? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #16
Trustee

Christoph,
Under what circumstances did you have an error with shotput express?
Please be as detailed as you can. It would be very helpful to others.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #17
Major Player

It's sunny and warm today - I tested the SxS recovery on Windoze, no mac here, and couldn't get anything to find any file remnants after a card re-format, but could find almost everything on the SDHC cards - some mp4's don't play, and I'm investigating why, it appears to be a corrupt header problem that isn't fixed with any of the mp4 "repair" software out there, they just don't work. Now I'm digging into Hex editing - not really my strong point, but always happy to learn as it may save someones files one day, if not my own.

Paul
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Kathleen...

Sorry to hear the data was not recoverable. You have my sincere sympathies since it happened to me... just once.

Just FYI, here's my own workflow. It's not absolutely foolproof, but it might help.

Each of my SxS cards are clearly labeled with a number, and I shoot them in sequence.

When a card is "full" I place them in a pouch and only transfer them after the day's shoot.

When I do transfer, I'll do them in sequence, and move each card's BPAV folder into archive folders that are also similarly named and numbered. For example, Shorecast 1, Shorecast 2, etc.

I have enough cards to cover me for the day. It's a costly investment, but an important one. I believe the cost of having enough cards for the day is less than what it would cost if I lost coverage due to a mistake made while transferring footage in the field.

For example, I shot a 2-hour struggle to land a 973-pound marlin this summer. If I lost any of that footage, I would have no recourse. And it might not ever happen again in my lifetime. It would be the same if it were a wedding, breaking news, etc.

BTW, that marlin was the second-largest to ever be caught in the 50-year history of that tournament!

By doing the transfer at the end of the day I have the opportunity to confirm the footage is in my archive system before I erase the cards. And I make sure ALL of the footage has been transferred BEFORE I format ANY of the cards.

Even then, I'm still a little nervous about erasing the cards. Being methodical, and not rushing in the field amidst distractions, is absolutely essential.
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
. Being methodical, and not rushing in the field amidst distractions, is absolutely essential.
Of course, you just have to be methodical - even if your cards cover a whole day of shooting.

Now imagine how "methodical" I had to be when shooting a live concert with 3 EX1's lately, only having 3x8GB cards with my own camera (the other 2 guys had 1x16GB plus 1x8GB each). Being responsible for the whole project, I was operating my own EX1 AND my Vaio laptop with Shotput installed, and 2 external disks attached. When one of my own (or the other guy's) card was full, I had to dump and reformat it for immediate use...

I was lucky, I guess, as I didn't lose any single clip from the 3 events (2 concerts, and 1 rehearsal) we were covering.

Just an anecdote:)
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #20
Major Player

courageous mate

Piotr, you must have lootttsss of courage to do all that
at the same time and not loose overview. Congrats.

Pe.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Major Player

I was able to recover some video files that were recently over written on my SxS (actually SDHC) cards. The problem now is the mp4 file is corrupt. I am currently trying to use mencoder to recover the video but I am uncertain that this will fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Major Player

During a busy period when there are shoots back to back matters can get out of hand quickly. After every SxS card recording, I move the sxs tab to rec inhibit. I have 4 x 32gb sxs cards plus some 8gb I rarely use(yes a HUGE financial investment but well worth it for the long haul), so after i cycle through them and backed them up, I ALWAYS check each card one at a time in the camera by checking the clips. Once I am satisfied that I can erase the clips, I remove the sxs card, slip the tab to record capable and clear all clips.

Thankfully, I have never erased any sxs card that has not been backed up multiple times.

With the nano on board for a good few months now, I essentially have double backups as I dual record everything.

I hope that your loss was not financial or reputation damaging as well.
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

After a lot of trouble trying to recover my deleted files from my SxS cards, I found out on another forum this site: Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac they have this software called Treasured that can get the files from a formated sxs card or SD card, and beleive me, IT WORKS!! This guy saved my neck. I recomment it 100%

It cost me $159 but we recovered all of it! even it detected some movie files from a shooting we had a month ago! Trust me, this guy works!
Federico Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Lost Wedding Video

Hi, guys I was hired to shoot a weeding video 2 wks ago and during the reception I tot I copied one 16gb SxS card and 16gb SD card only to discovered it wasnt so I am serious problem right because i have reused the card is there any hope of recovery.

I am missing the whole of reception clips and parts of church clips towards the end of service , I have the whole traditional wedding. I have tried some data recovery software no success and i am looking into treasures services but the problem is that I am on PC and there is no body around where I live in Nigeria.
Is it possible to send my card to pple in aero to help with recovery

Olakunle

Last edited by Olakunle Olanrewaju; July 5th, 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Email notification and additional post
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #25
Sponsor: Westside AV

Olakunle, if you only formatted the cards, they can probably be recovered, with software. But if you used them to record again after wiping. A lot of the footage is probably unrecoverable. If the sectors have been written over it is pretty much impossible to recover.

Sorry to sound negative. Maybe someone here can recommend a service that can attempt a recovery. But it may be pricy.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I have little option, if its probably the price for carelessness on my part which I will be willing to pay off, i can not order another wedding the most important thing is to be able to recorver it, any help in that regard will be appreciated.
thanks

Last edited by Olakunle Olanrewaju; July 5th, 2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #27
Major Player

Hello Olakunle,
Try "Treasured" if you are on a MAC. The best option you have with high possibility of recovering is to go to Data Recovery business. Usually "data Recovery" could recover layers of erased data from media. Good luck
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I and Everybody around me is on PC but I am willing to send my cards to them if it is possible to recover the media
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #29
Major Player

try this incredible software:

TestDisk & PhotoRec documentation can be found online:
- TestDisk - CGSecurity
- PhotoRec - CGSecurity
Documentation can be downloaded from
- TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

it save my a... a few times when NOTHING ELSE worked;
pay attention to menu question; if it will show you partition press"P" for folder file lists and then you can copy them to hard drive
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I will give it a try before sending the cards to treasured
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds