DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Shot 1080 30p -> 24p or 60i for Blu-Ray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136115-shot-1080-30p-24p-60i-blu-ray.html)

Greg Voevodsky October 15th, 2008 12:56 PM

Shot 1080 30p -> 24p or 60i for Blu-Ray?

Ok - Blu-Ray sucks in that it does NOT SUPPORT 30p. I have shot beautiful "Hawaii Beaches" and waves with my EX1 in 1080p 30fps as recommended from my stockfootage house and am soon to be making both DVDs and BDs.

I was simply going to go with 60i for BD - being the most info and best picture quality, however, from a marketing perspective and ignorance on Amazon.com - I'm considering converting it to 24p 1080p (supported by BD) rather than 60i 1080i - purely from a marketing perspective. There are a bunch of dumb techies wanting 1080p over 1080i for their new HD TVs and think it is better no matter what... which it may or may not be... fine for 24p film but for 30p HD -> 60i is probably better technically... So - here are the questions:

1. Has anyone done this test 24p vs 60i on BD from 1080p 30fps?

2. How much of a look difference is there on BD? (I assume very hard to to tell 60i from the 30p original) However, Im worried about jerky motion in 24p from 30p??

3. If 24p does NOT look much different than 60i from my 30p.... then what is the best way to convert 30p to 24p in FCP? Do I just open a new sequence and drag and drop? I read this is the best way to downcovert to SD for DVD... and then encode?

4. Side Question - What setting do you use for SD - obviously DV (which is what I use to shoot) is not the format to transcode to... do I use uncompressed? or pro-RES SD? Right now - I'm in pro-rez HD and loving it. I assume I drag and drop into pro-rez SD - and then encode - with my favorite Bit-Vice?

Any other work flows, examples - warnings etc... are much appreciated. Thanks!

Paul Frederick October 15th, 2008 05:09 PM

This is something I'd like to know too. I also shoot in 30p as it gives me the best options for going to SD and also web. I find 24p too juddery. 30p is the best look for me. I guess I didn't think much about going to Blu-Ray as I can't make them yet with FCS2. I didn't think it would NOT accept 30p. That is troubling.....

I'm fairly sure you can use 30p footage in a 60i timeline and it won't be too adversly affected. I have mixed some 30p with HDV 60i and it looked fine on final output. (needed rendering though).

Robert Young October 15th, 2008 05:48 PM

I personally dislike the look of 24p video. To my eye, it is juddery, and does not look the same to me as 24 fps film.
I have made BD 30i from 30p projects and they look stunning. Going to the trouble to convert 30p to 24p is not something I would do unless the project was headed for film transfer.
I might add that many would disagree with this opinion.

Chris Hurd October 15th, 2008 06:32 PM

Oops -- looks like this is a word-for-word copy of a post which was first made at DVXuser:

Shot 1080 30p -> 24p or 60i for Blu-Ray? - DVXuser.com

Please direct any further replies to its original location there. Also please don't copy posts from other message boards into DV Info Net. We're looking only for unique and original discussions, not re-runs of what's happening elsewhere on the web. DVXuser will appreciate it too. Thanks for understanding,