Sony iLink Reminder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony iLink Reminder

When I got my EX-1 back today with the 1.11 firmware upgrade, there was a note attached reminding not to "hot swap" the camera with a firewire cable to computer. Both devices should be off when connecting both ends of the cable. If the camera gets fried, it's not covered under warranty. I actually think my Panasonic DV deck was fried this way. Repairing it would cost more than it's worth.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Hmmmm. I do it all the time and have for years without issues. I guess I'll have to be more careful.
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I blew up my Z1 doing this. Was fixed under warranty.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Trustee

The JVC HD100 had this issue.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
New Boot

It's not uncommon, and happened to my Z1 also. I always use a port isolator on the computer side now, as well as shutting off the camera before plugging or unplugging. The port isolator removes power from the firewire cable, so that takes care of power from the computer, but static can also arc across to the data pins as the connector enters or leaves the port, so turn the camera off first.

I'm pleased to say that Sony stood up and did the repair for free, even though I bought the camera used and it was long out of warranty. The original user manual incorrectly gave the sequence for plugging and unplugging, but even though they had redone the manual, I pointed out that the original one was still available for download from Sony's website the very day I took it in for repair.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Major Player

That's so weird. Did they ever explain how you can fry a port when you are plugging an unpowered 4-pin connector to it?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds