Big EX1 Problems Overseas on Assignment - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM   #16
New Boot

extra problems for good measure

Oh thank god i am not the only one with some extra problems - finally after back focus issued repaired and fixed, new power boards and new casings and firmware upgrades i was hoping never to see the service centre again....but on queue on a shoot in Phuket shot some scenes in the morning, then travelled by speed boat out to Phang Na bay loaded the camera with a battery turned the camera on, turned the camera on, turned the camera on.
Nothing - next battery same problem. When i switched it on i could hear power trying to get through but the nothing came on in the viewfinder - no ex cam logo nothing just a noise that sounded like hissing with short sharp intermittent breaks. Turned the switch off the noise kept still going only to be stopped pulling out the battery.
Tried again 30 mins later nothing. Tried again 4 hours later everything worked and had no problem since. Also experienced a lot of heat in the rear of the camera filming time lapse sequences - maybe due to the heat and humidity? I dont know we will soon find out!
J. Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Thanks for that info Daniel. I'm hoping that 10 business days is on the long side then. The problem is I have a bunch of projects coming in back to back and it's hard to figure out a hole in my schedule especially since I can't determine the size of the hole needed.
Yeah, I had a 5 day window between a six week overseas schedule. I am in Bosnia right now with the camera and it has worked fine. I then go to Africa until Thanksgiving. I am wondering if the camera had issues with the heat. I just read in the last post where the guy had trouble after doing a bunch of time lapse stuff. That's exactly what I had happen. I spent a day in Bangkok shooting under and overcranked stuff and then the next day the camera overheated and locked up.

In April I took the camera to Borneo for a week of shooting without any problems. After that I thought the camera was bullet proof. Guess I was wrong.

Hope that they can update the camera in time for your next shoot.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #18
Major Player

Similar strange thing happened to my old Canon GL cam many years ago after a boat trip in Phuket. The audio panel went dead even though I have not used the cam on the boat. It has been packed in layers of plastic bags (and its bag of course) for the boat trip.
It seems certain cameras are susceptible of conditions where moisture is combined with heat and salt.
On the other hand I have used my V1 in similar tropical conditions and never had any trouble so far.
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Zsolt:

Do you find the Gitzo 1325 legs to be sturdy enough for the EX3 and accessories?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
Zsolt:

Do you find the Gitzo 1325 legs to be sturdy enough for the EX3 and accessories?
Bill, to be honest I keep on delaying my EX3 order due to the recent strong dollar rate. I am hoping for the better - wish I had the money in July when I could have bought the cam 30% less vs today in my currency. So to answer your question, I have no idea about the EX3 and the Gitzo in combination.
On the other hand, I applied Nigel Cooper's leg twisting techniques and the Gitzo turned out to be pretty OK. Have you used or tried this same leg before? I think it is pretty rare, not being kept in stores everywhere. I like it coz its light yet sturdy.
I guess we are doing some sort of off topic talk here, don't you think?:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds