Soft Video, Not at all happy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Soft Video, Not at all happy

now that i am in the middle of editing my first production with the EX1, i can say video from my Z1 kills it in terms of focus and sharpness. Now, I purchased this camera used, and to my knowledge it was serviced by Sony, has the firmware upgrade, and shouldn't have any BF problems. I guess it does, and I need to do the calibration. I guess I should have kept my FX1 a bit longer.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Scott it must be in the preset, camera settings, or camera problem since the EX1 is a much better picture then the Z1 from experience. The board statement that the Z1 kills it in terms of Focus and Sharpness is just not true.

What preset are you using and let us know the other settings?
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I saw an immediate improvement in image quality with the EX1 over a Z1. With the EX1, there is negligible blockiness around fast motion. Though, I have to comment that if you're used to focusing the Z1 a certain way (I liked to use the Push-Auto function on the run), you'll be disappointed with the EX1 equivalent. The EX1 has all of these auto-assist focus functions even in "manual" mode. I'm using the Peaking function much more often.

There are some Picture Profiles that will improve the look of your video (I like the Phil Bloom presets), but you should see an immediate difference out of the box. How are you viewing your video to determine whether it is soft?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Major Player

my camera came to me with Phillip Bloom's settings, so I left it on that. I think I need to reset everything, and dial them in from scratch. I shoot mostly weddings, so presets for those would be best. I do notice when I engage ND2, focus is off.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
now that i am in the middle of editing my first production with the EX1, i can say video from my Z1 kills it in terms of focus and sharpness. Now, I purchased this camera used, and to my knowledge it was serviced by Sony, has the firmware upgrade, and shouldn't have any BF problems. I guess it does, and I need to do the calibration. I guess I should have kept my FX1 a bit longer.
Well, please post a framegrab. This will show us the issue.
Also, the EX1 hits not far from 1000 lines of horizontal resolution. This provides excellent detail. If you're not seeing this, send it back for repair.

If you feel that EX1 is not good enough, you can easily sell it for good $$

Just read your follow up post..
Your back focus sounds out.
Version 1.05 and on was to offer better focus compensation when using ND filters.
Just perform the FB (Flange Back) setting yourself in the service menu. It's easy.
There is plenty of how to do it your self posted here.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I do notice when I engage ND2, focus is off.
Here's the difference before/after doing the Back Focus on an EX1:

Untitled Page

I think you're going to be very happy...
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Scott...

What's your f-stop?

Anything beyond f8 or f11 will start to look soft.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Major Player

screen grabs

now that I am into this wedding, here are some comparison grabs. i will post the Z1
first, the EX1 second. I did the FB procdure, but have yet to shoot anything to check it out.
Seeing this makes me regret selling my FX1, should have left well enough alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Soft Video, Not at all happy-z1grab.jpg   Soft Video, Not at all happy-ex1grab.jpg  

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dude, your camera is broken. Get it fixed. This shouldn't even be close. My EX1 would have to be focused 3 feet short for it to be that soft.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Seeing this makes me regret selling my FX1, should have left well enough alone.
hey Scott, easy to fix,
sell EX1 , you'll get two FX1's :)
I don't know man, i used to have Z1, still have a some footage shut with it, there is no camparison between two
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #11
Major Player

yeah, as you can see from my sample, my Z1 kills it. Do you recommend it a trip to Sony, or do the FB procedure again?
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Inner Circle

It kind of looks like different detail settings on the 2 cams? The EX image, while softer, actually looks nicer to me, the Z1 looks really oversharpened. Have you turned the detail setting down a lot?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
yeah, as you can see from my sample, my Z1 kills it. Do you recommend it a trip to Sony, or do the FB procedure again?
Let Sony fix it. Trust me, when it's working right, it's like looking through a frigging window. Best handycam image I've ever seen. Bar none.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Major Player

this camera had Phil Blooms settings on it, and I was shooting with those. The Z1, my assistant was using, shooting on auto, out of the box settings.
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Here's the difference before/after doing the Back Focus on an EX1:
Untitled Page

I think you're going to be very happy...
Exposure differences aside, the difference in sharpness is greater than what I'd expect at these distances. Was the backfocus several feet?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds