Best settings for filmout. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Best settings for filmout.

If you wanted to transfer to film then what are the best settings?
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #2

You would definitely want to shoot at 1080/25p (for PAL). Any other settings, such as Picture Profiles, would be totally subjective and dependent on each individual film project.

Having said that, I'm confident others will offer specifics.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I would have thought a cine 1 or 2 with Bills settings..

Also I'd like to know if anyone has used Picture Profiles to create the look of different film stocks?
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
You would definitely want to shoot at 1080/25p (for PAL). Any other settings, such as Picture Profiles, would be totally subjective and dependent on each individual film project.

Having said that, I'm confident others will offer specifics.

Why 25p and no 24p?
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Probably Mark has a Pal camera that only does 25p... As for a picture profile, well this is my personal opinion, but I rather do any color correction in post.
Marcos Luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark David Williams View Post
Also I'd like to know if anyone has used Picture Profiles to create the look of different film stocks?
Mark, I agree that would be a great idea--I'd love to see that myself. However, I think it would be a monumental task to accomplish. Probably expensive, too.

But here's hoping...!
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herminio Cordido View Post
Why 25p and no 24p?
Good point, Herminio, assuming he can shoot 24p.
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Well the UK version of the EX-1 does NTSC so I can do 24p.. But I don't think there is a problem with 25P for filmout today. I'd love to be able to dial in a film stock in the PP's and then compose my scene on a monitor and make adjustments with camera settings to get the best pic with those settings! But I also agree that post is the best way to change your mind later.
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Maybe create two Picture Profiles, one for your film look to give you an idea on location/monitoring ... and a clean PP to shoot with. Then you can have sample clips to match to in post (Color, Magic Bullet or the like)

Best of luck.
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
Maybe create two Picture Profiles, one for your film look to give you an idea on location/monitoring ... and a clean PP to shoot with. Then you can have sample clips to match to in post (Color, Magic Bullet or the like)

Best of luck.
Good thinking Andrew! What I'm thinking here though is in post automatic programs like MB decide for you. Yes I know you can adjust settings but you are stuck with the picture you recorded whereas a PP means you can adjust lighting or positions or aperture etc. I probably should get a good book on the art of the colourist as well!
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Major Player

A lot of the New theaters have digital projection and I have heard a most of the Film festivals are starting to offer digital projection, in case you did not want to shoot 24p and dish out the crazy amount of money to go to actual Film. I just shot an independent project which is going the digital projection route and I shot 1080 30p and used my own customer Profile.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds