EX1 for National Geographic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1 for National Geographic?

Hello,

We're busy with (very early) preparations and meetings for a documentary for National Geographic, and we wanted to know if an EX1 is allowed for 100% as shooting format, XDCAM HD EX.
After a long search on Google, I couldn't find the technical sheet from National Geographic with technical demands. I've seen those floating around this forum a couple of time, but I couldn't find it back.

If anyone has the link to the sheet or list, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Discovery

Not able to locate the National Geographic spec, but found the Discovery Tech Spec at
http://www.videoscope.com/pdf_files/...DSpec.logo.pdf
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, Arild! I've heard Discovery is owned by National Geographic, so it gives us a more concrete idea about what to expect. Seems that XDCAM EX is allowed in HQ for Discovery.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Actually

Discovery is not owned by National Geographic. It's owned by Discovery Communications, LLC in Silver Spring, MD. National Geographic Channel (actually Discovery Channel's rival) is owned by National Geographic Television & Film (50%) and News Corporation (50%).
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Can't you just call the client and find out..
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Hello,

We're busy with (very early) preparations and meetings for a documentary for National Geographic, and we wanted to know if an EX1 is allowed for 100% as shooting format, XDCAM HD EX.
After a long search on Google, I couldn't find the technical sheet from National Geographic with technical demands. I've seen those floating around this forum a couple of time, but I couldn't find it back.

Thanks and best regards,

I am not sure if it matters, but you might need to consider that XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX are different. Perhaps to the client it doesn't matter.

XDCAM HD includes the PDW-F335, F355, and 700.
XDCAM EX includes the EX1 and EX3 only
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Convergent design ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Hello,

Thanks and best regards,
I will be picking up the nanno/flash unit because it offers 4.2.2 50 meg and 100 meg recording and that falls well within specs of every broadcaster. XDCAM HD is 4.2.2 ~ 50 meg recording.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #8

In the Discover HD guidelines it states:

"Discovery HD requires programs to be mastered in the 1080i 59.54 signal standard."

Can anyone tell me what the "59.54 signal standard" is? How would one achieve that for delivery?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Major Player

I was on a National Geographic shoot less than a month ago and the EX1 was at the time NOT allowed for 100% acquisition. Things can change that quickly but that's what I was told.

I'm not sure about the EX3. This may differ if you use a less compressed recording chain such as the Nano Flash or use high end 15K+ lenses on the EX3. But the EX1 is only allowed for I think 10% of the footage for HD programming.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Silly question, but what if you used Clip Browser to convert the EX files to HD 422?
Who would know the difference then?
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
In the Discover HD guidelines it states:

"Discovery HD requires programs to be mastered in the 1080i 59.54 signal standard."

Can anyone tell me what the "59.54 signal standard" is? How would one achieve that for delivery?
I assume you're referring to the Discovery Channel pdf spec sheet.

That looks like a typo to me as right below it the manuscript reads, "1080i 59.94" which is the correct spec. There is no "59.54" field or frame rate. The Sony EX1 and EX3 both shoot at this spec in their HQ 1080/60i mode. Mastered usually refers to the "master tape" i.e. the format it was acquired in.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #12
Major Player

format ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
I assume you're referring to the Discovery Channel pdf spec sheet.

That looks like a typo to me as right below it the manuscript reads, "1080i 59.94" which is the correct spec. There is no "59.54" field or frame rate. The Sony EX1 and EX3 both shoot at this spec in their HQ 1080/60i mode. Mastered usually refers to the "master tape" i.e. the format it was acquired in.
Isn't that HD Cam SR for Discovery?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
Silly question, but what if you used Clip Browser to convert the EX files to HD 422?
Who would know the difference then?
The quality control tech guys could tell. They have audio/video spec tools and know what to look for...or at least they should. You may be able to sneak something by them but I personally wouldn't risk my reputation by doing that.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
Isn't that HD Cam SR for Discovery?
If you look further down the sheet they list the formats that are accepted. XDCAM HD at 35Mbps and DVCPro HD are amongst them. And even though HDCam is really only 1440x1080. Full raster 1080 is still a relatively new format.

I remember seeing that XDCam EX in its HQ modes were acceptable for 100% general HD programming (Silver status) but not for high end (Gold status) stuff. Which is what HDCAM SR would probably fall under.

By the way I am not speaking as an expert for Discovery or National Geographic. But their headquarters are both in my neck of the woods and I know people who work for them...so, yeah. Grain of salt and whatnot. I would call up NatGeo if you're working for them...it should only take a minute or so. If you're doing something on spec that's a whole other ball game.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Nat-Geo or Discovery

Bottom line: If you have THE footage, they'll buy it, regardless of the bit rate, format or camera. It's been done. But hey - it's just a phone call to verify.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds