DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1/EX3 HD-SDI - Support for over and under cranking? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136303-ex1-ex3-hd-sdi-support-over-under-cranking.html)

Perrone Ford October 19th, 2008 06:30 PM

EX1/EX3 HD-SDI - Support for over and under cranking?

Ok,

Doesn't seem like a lot of folks out in the community are recording over the HD-SDI port. But, I am curious to know whether overcranking and undercranking are supported on the port, or only onto card.

Dean Harrington October 19th, 2008 07:35 PM

Yeah ...

That's a very good question!

Andrew Hollister October 19th, 2008 07:43 PM

Agreed. good question.

Also, Perrone, I emailed you regarding a particular file you were looking for. 111
Not sure if you received the message, you may want to check your spam.

Perrone Ford October 19th, 2008 07:56 PM

Thanks Andrew.

I had about 3 people all respond and my DVInfo mail goes to the office so I hadn't seen any of them! LOL!

Much appreciated!

Barry J. Anwender October 19th, 2008 10:50 PM

EX3 SDI Recording

I just received my EX3 last week and am only now beginning to work with SDI signals into my Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme. This evening I have been testing the various video formats that come out of the EX3 SDI port into FCP and frame grabs captured directly into Photoshop. It is pretty amazing to see on the Cinema display and very exciting to learn about the world of SDI.

I've test captured all of the EX3's SDI video formats but the 24p frame rate. This is my first go with 24p output as 2:3 pulled-down NTSC signals off the SDI port. So I am digging into the manuals to learn about this topic first. I need to get up to speed on capturing 1080/24p SDI into the FCP timeline, edit and output for Blu-ray.

Second priority will be to play with the EX3's SDI port for over/under cranking to see how that works and looks in a FCP timeline.

Perrone Ford October 19th, 2008 11:00 PM

Barry,

Please let us know what you find! I hope you're enjoying the EX3.

Steve Phillipps October 20th, 2008 01:49 AM

I asked this on the Flash XDR forum, and Mike Schell said he'd have to test it to see what you could get out of the HD-SDI, but never heard any results. I suspected that you wouldn't get overcranking.
Steve

Steve Gibbons October 20th, 2008 10:19 AM

This may answer some questions...

We dub all our SxS cards to HDCAM tape via the HD-SDI output on our Sony PMW-EX30 deck. HD-SDI output from both this deck and our EX1 camera did not work when playing back over/undercranked materal - there simply was not a compatible signal for our VTR to lock onto.

I haven't dug deeper to see if there is a "tolerance" to the amount of cranking HD-SDI supports or if it plain doesn't work at all - I suspect the latter.

That's our observations...

SG

Barry J. Anwender October 20th, 2008 12:18 PM

I can confirm Steve Gibbons conclusion.

Slow/Quick Motion recording from the EX3 HD-SDI port does not work. I set the record button "on" to capture video to the SXS card and from the SDI port simultaneously at 720/60P set to 5fps and then again at 60fps. The SXS card picked up the over & under cranking as expected. The SDI port just output standard 720/60P video in both cases.

I must admit that the camera does a much better job of over/under cranking in the FCP timeline than it does by changing the speed of clip in the FCP timeline.