Next step from the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Interesting Andrew at a cost of? Have you used this camera?
Unfortunately I have not, but would like to, but do not think anyone would trust me with a camera priced around $200,000

Information gathering: A quick google, you'll see a nice video on Fresh DV (Fresh TV) and Adam Wilt did a bang up comparison between the EX1, Red, and F23 (23 was the predecessor to the 35) at ProVideo Coalition.com with images like the one attached

For what its worth, my suggestion was to give you the top end of it, which is what you, or anyone here should be striving for... the tops. Hey, why the hell not, right?

My other suggesting, would be the Red One, which if you buy now $17.5k (base price for the body) gets you a free trade-up to an Epic when they are released. Epic being the 5K bad ass. I have priced out a Red kit, and its around $90-100k

Honestly, beyond resolution, I don't see where Red is that much of a step up from the EX, but I suppose it is. Now the F23/35 that's a serious step up. And if you can afford it, read: your clients will appreciate it and pay for it, then go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Next step from the EX1-garden-detail.jpg  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks Andrew yes we all should be striving for the F35. But for now it is out of my range and I would buy a dome for the helicopter before I would spend that much on a camera.

Thanks for the link to Adam Wilt's review I will check that out when I have some free time today.

As for the Red One we have talked about renting that camera when the time is right.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Well I took a step in the right direction today and ordered XDR Flash.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:24 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

With most of my work shooting fast moving subjects this seems like a good step. So if this solves my problem of clients and me noticing artifacts and motion blur well then I can move on to other areas to refine.

Question between the EX1 and EX3:
Is the lens on the EX1 the same quality as the lens on the EX3?

Having the options to change on the EX3 is nice and I know I passed by this thought earlier when the EX3 was mentioned. But with a portable SDI 100Mbps 422 capture would the EX3 glass be better?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds