DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Nikon Long Telephoto Support on EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136391-nikon-long-telephoto-support-ex3.html)

Steve Harryman October 21st, 2008 11:45 AM

Nikon Long Telephoto Support on EX3

2 Attachment(s)
I've attached a couple photos of the 500mm f/4 P Nikkor I'm planning on using with the EX3 (wildlife). Mike Tapa just made an awesome mechanical, glassless adapter for this and I'm looking for some expert advice on what would be the best options to support this rig. I saw Ofer's setup on an earlier post, but it looks scary as far as support. Any more input on how that's working for you Ofer? I'm wondering if a rail kit (60mm length rods) would be the way to go and also what plate, etc.. Steve Phillips mentioned getting a long plate made--I'm not sure where to get that made and specs needed at this point. Just wanted to get a bit more input. I currently own a Manfrotto 501 head at the moment, possibly a 503 if needed, along with a Gitzo 1548 (heavy duty carbon fiber) with a Wimberley head from my outdoor freelance days. Would be interesting to see if that could ever be used with a rig like this. Hoping to get going on getting some good wildlife footage and need to have something as close to rock-solid as possible. Anyway, Ofer, Steve and anyone else---thanks for your input on this.

Steve H.

Andrew Davies October 22nd, 2008 02:43 AM

Just wondering how usable a 2500mm lens will be? You'll need to be shooting through cold clear air!

Steve Harryman October 22nd, 2008 05:29 AM

No doubt there. Here in Michigan we've got plenty of that. More limited use with the 500---but there have been a couple instances I could have used it. I've used it on an GY-HD100 for brown bears in Alaska and with the right conditions and a sturdy tripod you can get some decent stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies (Post 954060)
Just wondering how usable a 2500mm lens will be? You'll need to be shooting through cold clear air!

Dan Chung October 22nd, 2008 07:04 AM

I've just got my EX-3 adapter from Mike and was trying to figure out the same thing for 300 and 400 mm Nikon lenses. The best solution I can find to date is a very long rails system with a Brevis proteus Cinevate Inc. system to raise either the camera or lens depending on the configuration and a regular rails mount at the other end , my favourite being the red rock one microShoulderMount Rod Clamp

A simple metal plate may be an alternative. Have a look here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl1...s-support.html

Dan

Ofer Levy October 22nd, 2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Harryman (Post 953824)
I've attached a couple photos of the 500mm f/4 P Nikkor I'm planning on using with the EX3 (wildlife). Mike Tapa just made an awesome mechanical, glassless adapter for this and I'm looking for some expert advice on what would be the best options to support this rig. I saw Ofer's setup on an earlier post, but it looks scary as far as support. Any more input on how that's working for you Ofer? I'm wondering if a rail kit (60mm length rods) would be the way to go and also what plate, etc.. Steve Phillips mentioned getting a long plate made--I'm not sure where to get that made and specs needed at this point. Just wanted to get a bit more input. I currently own a Manfrotto 501 head at the moment, possibly a 503 if needed, along with a Gitzo 1548 (heavy duty carbon fiber) with a Wimberley head from my outdoor freelance days. Would be interesting to see if that could ever be used with a rig like this. Hoping to get going on getting some good wildlife footage and need to have something as close to rock-solid as possible. Anyway, Ofer, Steve and anyone else---thanks for your input on this.

Steve H.

Hi Steve,
I am definitely not an expert as I recently moved to video after years of still photography.
I am using the EX3 with a few Nikon lenses. Since I prefer to use prime lenses over the zoom, I take the whole arsenal to the field - 300, 400, 500, 600 and keep changing lenses. As scary as it looks I decided not to use any support system for the camera+lens combo. Firstly because it is not practical to keep changing lenses and re-adjusting the support system and secondly - I am not 100% sure the support is really necessary. I attach the camera+lens combo to the tripod head via the lens "leg". The camera is basically hanging on the lens so only the camera’s weight (about 2 Kg) is the factor to be considered.
Regarding a fluid head - I have tried the Vinten vision3 and found it to be unsatisfactory for such long lenses (1600-3300) so I bought the Miller Arrow 25 which is a FANTASTIC device. I attach a rubber band to the handle and manage to get very smooth, vibration free movement even with the 600mm lens.
Cheers,
http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

Andrew Davies October 22nd, 2008 09:19 AM

Hi Ofer

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your footage. Could you post some please?

Thanks

Andy

Steve Harryman October 22nd, 2008 11:26 AM

Ofer,
I'm coming from the same still photography background as well. I'm just a bit worried the EX3 will be alot more weight on the lens mount than my old F5. However, will be interesting to try it out. I do have one other question---in researching this more, you are the third person I've come across who mentioned using a rubber band for pans. Are you talking one of those huge 1" wide bands or just a normal one. That's a great idea that I will have to try. Thanks.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 954130)
Hi Steve,
I am definitely not an expert as I recently moved to video after years of still photography.
I am using the EX3 with a few Nikon lenses. Since I prefer to use prime lenses over the zoom, I take the whole arsenal to the field - 300, 400, 500, 600 and keep changing lenses. As scary as it looks I decided not to use any support system for the camera+lens combo. Firstly because it is not practical to keep changing lenses and re-adjusting the support system and secondly - I am not 100% sure the support is really necessary. I attach the camera+lens combo to the tripod head via the lens "leg". The camera is basically hanging on the lens so only the camera’s weight (about 2 Kg) is the factor to be considered.
Regarding a fluid head - I have tried the Vinten vision3 and found it to be unsatisfactory for such long lenses (1600-3300) so I bought the Miller Arrow 25 which is a FANTASTIC device. I attach a rubber band to the handle and manage to get very smooth, vibration free movement even with the 600mm lens.
Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Ofer Levy October 22nd, 2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Harryman (Post 954231)
I do have one other question---in researching this more, you are the third person I've come across who mentioned using a rubber band for pans. Are you talking one of those huge 1" wide bands or just a normal one. That's a great idea that I will have to try. Thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I am using the standard "normal" rubber bands but I guess any will do.

Mike Tapa October 23rd, 2008 07:12 AM

Hi Ofer.

Can you tell me the distance from the front of the camera to the support toe on your lens.
Im guessing the photo you posted was the longest lens of you collection.
If need be, I will supply longer bars for my support system.

Also, just a word of thanks to all the guys who purchased the Nikon adaptor, (Just sold out of the second batch) I would love to see some clips soon.

Andrew Stone October 23rd, 2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tapa (Post 954510)
Also, just a word of thanks to all the guys who purchased the Nikon adaptor, (Just sold out of the second batch) I would love to see some clips soon.

I received my adapter a couple of weeks ago. Mr. Tapa thank you! A fine piece of workmanship.

Having not used an adapter like this before, what surprised and impressed me the most beyond the obvious of turning a 100 to 200 mm lens into a really nice telephoto was the exacting control you get with depth of field right down to macro style DOF but in a telephoto scenario.

Sverker Hahn October 23rd, 2008 10:07 AM

To Mike:

Are there any type of Nikon lenses that are not working well with your adaptor and EX3?

I have a Nikkor IF-ED 5,6/400, manual focus (20 years old).

/Sverker

Ofer Levy October 23rd, 2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn (Post 954601)
To Mike:

Are there any type of Nikon lenses that are not working well with your adaptor and EX3?

I have a Nikkor IF-ED 5,6/400, manual focus (20 years old).

/Sverker

I don't own this lens but all my lenses are old Nikon lenses and work fine with Mike's adapter.

Eli Schmukler October 23rd, 2008 12:04 PM

Mike -

First, let me thank you for looking at this thread so that you can assess the needs of people who may be interested in your products. I am sure that your interest will benefit both your business and those viewing the thread.

Like others, I have been looking to buy an adapter so that my Nikon 35mm lenses can be used on the ex3. In looking at your products, I noted that you have an adapter specifically made for the ex3 (5.5 multiplier) and that you also have an adapter which fits a standard 1/2" lens adapter (7 multiplier). I was wondering whether the 1/2" adapter could be used on the ex3 with the ex3 to 1/2" adapter supplied with the ex3 and, if it can be, what differences we might expect (other than the obvious difference in the multiplier effect and length of the camera/lens setup).

I was going to email you directly with this question, but thought others might be interested in the answer also.

I am looking forward to your response.

Dan Chung October 23rd, 2008 01:31 PM

Mike,

Glad to see you on here, theres a very short test clip here The moon on an EX3 on Vimeo

I'll have more soon. Having a few issues with getting the rig stable but I think its sorted now.

Dan

Mike Tapa October 23rd, 2008 03:51 PM

Eli-

I do have a B4 (2/3") to Sony 1/2" adaptor.
This was originally designed for the first of the Sony XDCAM-HD cameras.
Basically, yes, you could fit it to the 1/2" to EX adaptor which ships with the EX3.
I have already sold a few for this purpose with no problems.

So... B4 2/3" to EX 1/2" will give an effective multiplication of X1.375

For anyone wondering, the way to work this out is to divide the diagonal of the larger format by the diagonal of the smaller (11mm/8mm).

Dan-

Fabulous clip, in between distortion effects, the image looks really crisp.
Where were you at the time?

I used to play around with telescopes in my younger days and always remember having to leave it out for at least 30mins to cool down, also to keep well away from any buildings with open doors (heat rushing out). Of course, shooting out of a window is even worse.
You probably knew all this, but thought I might mention it.