sony EX1 and new mac book pro 15in problems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #16
Trustee

going from one fw800 and one fw400 to just one fw800 is a HUGE mistake. Losing one port for let's be honest, just aesthetics, is insane. All I can hope for is the 17" when it comes out early next year won't make the same mistake!
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
going from one fw800 and one fw400 to just one fw800 is a HUGE mistake. Losing one port for let's be honest, just aesthetics, is insane. All I can hope for is the 17" when it comes out early next year won't make the same mistake!
Is it a mistake, or a more efficient and effective design? Considering Firewire has amazing daisy-chain capability two ports are IMO quite unnecessary.. I regularly keep 2x1TB & 1x500GB drive attached to my 17" MBP.

My FW400 port is nothing more than a dust collector.

Addendum:
Ars Technica has a good article on this subject.

For those not wanting to read the article, but interested in Steve Jobs one line remark about FireWire 400: "Actually, all of the new HD camcorders of the past few years use USB 2."

They are right, the MacBook is a computer for the general consumer, not aimed for the professional market. AND if you still want a MB with firewire, they are still selling the old flavor, in white, for $100 less than the stylish new 'brick' model.

Last edited by Andrew Hollister; October 25th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Andrew Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Major Player

I agree, a single FW800 is not much of a loss in performance terms. I spent a few hours testing this with Apple guys at the Olympics. We daisy chained FW800 drive with a Lexar FW card reader. The compared it to the same drive on the FW800 port and the reader on the FW400 port. It turned out daisy chained one worked faster.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Also confused at the loss.

Since I use a Sonnet F2 (eSATA but powered by FW400) and have daisy chained Lexar CF drives to my FW800 port, I can't see this as a good move. Totally daft.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
Since I use a Sonnet F2 (eSATA but powered by FW400) and have daisy chained Lexar CF drives to my FW800 port, I can't see this as a good move. Totally daft. Jus.
With all that, it would look as though you would be a MacBook Pro user not the smaller Mac Book.
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #21
Major Player

Yup. Vintage 06/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
With all that, it would look as though you would be a MacBook Pro user not the smaller Mac Book.
I've been working off one for a couple of years now. I was hoping for a big power boost from the new range but it seems largely cosmetic at the moment. Perhaps with Snow Leopard and a possible 8GB memory option and the hope of using both the inbuilt nvidia gfx card along with the installed gfx card for extra display power. The changing socket configurations are a pain in the backside (as I imagine they are for thrid party vendors like Sonnet, Matrox, AJA, Blackmagic, Convergent and others) but not insurmountable. Personally, I'd happily lose all the firewire for an extra expresscard socket to take advantage of the much faster bus speeds and connection options.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #22
Major Player

The new Sony Fix:

The new Sony fix can be found @:

SXS Drivers
Bj
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
The new Sony fix can be found @:

SXS Drivers
Bj
This is very good news.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM   #24
Major Player

So Andy S., we must be neighbors....
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
So Andy S., we must be neighbors....
Hi Bob, Yes... the view from my deck looks between Nanaimo and Victoria although it takes 2 ferries to get to your rock. When the weather warms up and I get my motorbike out again I'll look you up :)

Back on topic... I hope the original poster realizes that the SXS drivers until a day or so ago were incompatible with his Macbook Pro that he just bought. It has been documented on other forums. Hopefully Sony got it right!
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds