sony EX1 and new mac book pro 15in problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sony EX1 and new brick mac book pro 15in problems

to all ... i just went thru 2 15in new MBP. what happens is having to install the sony SxS device driver makes your start up time in access of 4 mins [1min on spinning gear then 3-4 min on the blue screen] once i uninstalled the driver boot up was allmost instant. finally figured this out after going thru 2 MBP and 3 days of aggravation. seems that the new Nvidia chipset the mbp use is causing the hangup in boot time. this is just an heads up for anyone who plans on getting a new mbp and using sony EX1 will have. at least untill sony updates the drivers. im pretty sure pulling footage from camera or sxs card reader would work fine. but for me i dont want to pull my camera down for downloads [need to keep shooting] or may not have the facilities to use the card reader since it needs wall power .. again just a heads up

Last edited by Ron Williams; October 22nd, 2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added words
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Major Player

What are your exact specs?

I get no such problems, and my MacBook Pro is only 3 months old. All is working fine.

I did'nt know they upgraded since then - and you are talking about the new "brick" MacBook that was released last week?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yes the new brick mbp that was released last tuesday ....
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

From what I understand Sony is aware of the problem and is working on it. There's an issue with the SxS driver and the just released MacBookPro (released a few days ago). Not only is there long boot times but apparently you lose some of the multi finger trackpad functionality.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Don't understand also why Apple dropped the firewire 400 port from both the MBP and MB. The new MacBook is completely useless for DV and XDCAM HD users.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Alister, you do realise there is such a thing as a Firewire 800 to 400 cable. Firewire 800 Cables / FireWire 1394b Cables

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Please keep any updates to this posted. I was just getting ready to get a new MacBook! Not sure what I will do now... wait I guess.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There is NO FIREWIRE PORT on the new MacBooks.

MacBookPros do have firewire 800 port.

The 400 to 800 cable should work but it's another thing people have to get (and forget) when trundling off to a shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Alister, you do realise there is such a thing as a Firewire 800 to 400 cable. Firewire 800 Cables / FireWire 1394b Cables

Dan
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

yea im gonna wait for all the smoke to clear before jumping in again. I have a 17in already that is working just fine drivers and all. but for locations i did want a smaller unit.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
Please keep any updates to this posted. I was just getting ready to get a new MacBook! Not sure what I will do now... wait I guess.
And if I'm not mistaken, there isn't even an ExpressCard slot so you couldn't even get an adapter card to add Firewire if you wanted to. Glad I have my MBP.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

no it does have an express card slot ... and it will see the SxS card when driver is installed but if you can take the 5min boot up ...
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #12
Major Player

Oops, apologies to all.....going by what someone else "thought" it had missing...never a good idea. ;)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #13
Major Player

Ron, have you thought about using SD cards and the Kingston expresscard adapters with a USB2 UDMA SD card reader as a temporary fix for your macbook pro woes? Not ideal I know but should have no boot issues.

The new Macbook Pro should be ideal once the driver issues are sorted out. Point taken about the Macbook but then I always considered the Macbook screen too small to use for video editing anyways. Would have made a better offload machine for SXS if they had put an expresscard slot in it though :)

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

yea i was just gonna use it for offload purpose only - using the express card slot [which they do have ] i have an sony sxs card reader that i guess i could of used the usb port but where i was shooting i would not have power and would been too much of hassle to run back to hotel and download then run back out ...
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
There is NO FIREWIRE PORT on the new MacBooks.

MacBookPros do have firewire 800 port.

The 400 to 800 cable should work but it's another thing people have to get (and forget) when trundling off to a shoot.
Exactly - this move is what baffles me the most.
Why not just leave out 800 and keep 400.

I have not seen any devices, not that they dont exist, with firewire 800 - but know a slew of products that have 400. So what gives?

Indeed, who needs to carry around adapters and stuff...that gets me about the new mini dv port - now I need an adapter for my monitor.

Thought the point was portability and less items...oh well. :)

Peace

dAlen
Dalen Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds