DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SXS Card questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136428-sxs-card-questions.html)

Robert Bale October 22nd, 2008 01:08 AM

SXS Card questions

HI,

I have 2 x 8 gig sony sxs cards and wanted to know before i do this is it ok.

Camera sony EX3

Question - if i have the 2 cards in the camera and start recording a long speech, (50 min)

When card "A" is full and the camera Changes to card "B" Can i pull out Card
"A" while the camera is still recording on Card "B". Then dump the Footage on the Laptop, format it and PUT IT BACK INTO the camera while i am still recording on Card "B" and if needed let it switch back if card be becomes full (if they keep talking "lol")

Rob.

Perrone Ford October 22nd, 2008 01:16 AM

Yes you can.

David Issko October 22nd, 2008 01:27 AM

Although I haven't transferred the sxs footage to the laptop yet, I have changed card A for card C after the red LED goes off. Zoomed out to WS to minimise picture shake whilst changing cards. No problems.

When you do the transfer to the laptop or any computer, be sure to use Sony Clip Browser 2 to carry out the transfer, ensuring CRC option is checked ON in the prefs. If you just transfer the BPAV folder to the laptop folder from the card, you risk corrupt files.

All the best

Robert Bale October 22nd, 2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 954051)
Although I haven't transferred the sxs footage to the laptop yet, I have changed card A for card C after the red LED goes off. Zoomed out to WS to minimise picture shake whilst changing cards. No problems.

When you do the transfer to the laptop or any computer, be sure to use Sony Clip Browser 2 to carry out the transfer, ensuring CRC option is checked ON in the prefs. If you just transfer the BPAV folder to the laptop folder from the card, you risk corrupt files.

All the best

just a question, i use sont XDCAM transfer, then open the files in FCP. Is this still going to work with getting the footage from card from both cards, Split across "card a and card b"

and is there a way to format the card on a mac before i put it back in the camera?

at the moment i every time i transfer the clips from the card then put it back in the camera, "i get restore media"

may be a dumb question, but i need to make sure this works ok.

rob.

Serena Steuart October 22nd, 2008 04:56 AM

Shotput Xpress?

David Issko October 22nd, 2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bale (Post 954071)
just a question, i use sont XDCAM transfer, then open the files in FCP. Is this still going to work with getting the footage from card from both cards, Split across "card a and card b"

and is there a way to format the card on a mac before i put it back in the camera?

at the moment i every time i transfer the clips from the card then put it back in the camera, "i get restore media"

may be a dumb question, but i need to make sure this works ok.

rob.

Hey Rob,

For safety's sake, back up your media (BPAV folder) onto another storage device first using Clip Browser 2. Label the folder that the BPAV folder is in so you know EXACTLY what it is. Once backed up, (I back it up to another storage device) then I carry out the Transfer to my editing storage HDD, so I have my media on 3 storage devices before I am confident erasing the sxs card.

Yes, I get restore media from time to time as well. Many reasons for it but each time I have had to restore, everything comes up just fine.

I have not had any problems with frame accurate clip matching when the media was recorded over 2 cards. You should be OK with that.

I don't think you need to reformat the card unless the request is made. Just delete the clips when you are ready and you are good to go. That's what I have done without problems. Any formatting I have done has always been in camera. That is probably the best place to format or reformat the sxs card.

Best wishes