XDCAM EX / FCP / XDCAM Transfer workflow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I will try and knock up a screencast on Sunday, as this might be clearer than describing it. Thanks to Paul Keller for the inspiration!
Hi Matt, I'm not sure what a screencast is but if it helps explain the process for the batch re-naming of files I'd like to see it.

Still plan on doing one?

Thanks
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #17
Trustee

ignore/delete

Oops - dupe post - see below

Last edited by Matt Davis; October 27th, 2008 at 04:37 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Still plan on doing one?
Absolutely. However, got a call on Sunday to do some editing work and that's spilling over to today too.

To get you going though...
  • Launch XDCAM Transfer
  • Ensure your view is in 'List' mode (View --> List)
  • At this point, I have the 'OK', 'Keep', 'No Status' buttons lit, and the 'NG' button off. I find bad clips and set their status to NG by control clicking and selecting off the pop-up. Those clips effectively disappear from view.
  • You may also want to sort the list by start code to force a chronological order of clips (not always so if you don't). That becomes handy in a moment.
  • Ensure you select the Logging tab, not the Information tab in the bottom right window
  • Select multiple clips (expressed as lines in the table)
  • Enter a clip title in the Title field
  • Hit tab and all selected clips will get that title. The first clip will have the title. The second clip will have the title and '- 1' at the end. The second, '-2' and so on. That's why it's handy to have a chronological order.

I like to do this wrangling myself, in a quiet and still pocket of air rather than the hullabaloo of a shoot. If you don't have enough cards to last you, then this is where something like ShotPut Express could be handy - dump the whole SxS image somewhere, then use XDCAM Transfer on the image rather than the card.

I tend to use a naming structure that helps me break rushes down into separate folders by name, then just throw all the folders into FCP and get on with it. It's revolutionised the early part of my editing - oh, the joy of neatly labelled rushes!

BTW, another cool thing is that you can paste comments into the Logging field (and multiple clips get the same comment), so it's great for recording 'Tummy Tag' info (lower thirds stuff) or that kind of stuff you write down and then file away, so when you're editing at 3:00 AM, away from the paperwork, the info is *part of the clip*. Joy.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Major Player

This is great, Matt, can't wait to try it.

I've been putting the original file name in the Comments section by hand after re-naming the clip title. Is there an auto way of re-finding original clip name? I know that Log & Transfer keeps it, but didn't see it anywhere in FCP once the clip title had been changed. You might reveal it from Modify/ rename/clip to match file, but sometimes that hasn't worked and it's nice to have it in the logging notes column.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #20
Trustee

Matt, thank for the great explanation. After a couple of attempts it worked like a charm. This makes a big difference.

Thanks again for the help.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
if it helps explain the process for the batch re-naming of files I'd like to see it. Still plan on doing one?
Here's the first go at an XDCAM workflow screencast...

Batch naming clips in XDCAM Transfer

Last edited by Matt Davis; November 2nd, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Finessed the link
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:

Nice video - thanks for the list view hint. I felt like an idiot.

For what its worth, I preferred the vimeo version, but I can understand wanting people to visit your site. Although I think with the new Vimeo Plus you can embed HD on your site?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:

Hi Matt,

I very much enjoyed your screencast, well done.

Of coarse no sooner did you answer my question than raise a couple more. I take it from your presentation that you like Shot Put Express? I really like the EX3 and in some ways the SxS cards. However, I'm an editor not a system admin and it scares the crap out of me knowing there's a real possibility that I forget to transfer or misplaced an important clip.

So I'm really looking for utilities or tools that will help me "easily" archive, encode and distribute data for editing. On your recommendation I'm checking out Shot Put Express, thanks.

The SxS cards really put us in more of an IT workflow than a the more familiar Post Production workflow which is something I'm not that comfortable with on the Mac.

Thanks again for your generous help.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
no sooner did you answer my question than raise a couple more. I take it from your presentation that you like Shot Put Express?
Well, it's early days - I only stumped up the cash for it when faced with doing the screencast. But I think I am now a converted user.

As I mentioned, it seems to be quick on copying files from SxS to hard disk(s), as there's no conversion going on. It can also be pretty automated, thus you bang in the cards, and you just wait for the 'bing' that signals an empty, renamed card and two byte checked copies on separate drives (I think you can set up to three locations).

The crunch here is that you can empty cards on site WITHOUT having to do the file naming trick through XDCAM Transfer.

The fewer cards you have, the more important ShotPut becomes.

Once I've got a few more jobs underway with ShotPut, I'll do another screencast. FWIW, I find I can learn a lot more by turning it around into a teaching experience.

Quote:
I really like the EX3 and in some ways the SxS cards. However, I'm an editor not a system admin and it scares the crap out of me knowing there's a real possibility that I forget to transfer or misplaced an important clip.
All the more reason to use ShotPut, I guess.

All this technology in editing reminds me of the fable of 'the factory of tomorrow', in that the whole operation is run by one man and a dog. The man's job is to feed the dog, and the dog's job is to make sure the man doesn't touch anything.

But I prefer all this to the dreaded changing bag and neg cutting. And the bloody Eclair NPR and its 'will it work, will it won't' film loop.
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #25
New Boot

sorry to bring this back up, but i experience a few problems trying to follow this workflow...

when i import from multiple sources, the clips get mixed in the renaming, as xct will start importing from multiple sources simultaneously. so byebye chronological order.

when you import from one source at a time, you keep the chronological order, but then xct gets confused with the existing files, and instead of just following the last number, he just starts from 1 again, but with (1) and (2) added to the filename...

there must be a way to import 'm chronologically right?

thanks in advance for your advice!
Richard Van der Vieren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #26
Trustee

If you use Time Of Day code whilst shooting, you can sort the clips chronologically in FCP by sorting by 'Media Start'.

If you import cards in order (rather than batching them up) you can get 'chronological order' - in the order you choose, because it steps through.

But the addition of (1) and (2) is a bit of a bother for those of us with OCD (no bad thing IMHO), so I'd recommend something like Renamer4Mac, which is a batch renamer that can remove the stray typographical fluff, replace, add or concatinate other data and have them named sequentially again.

I'll reiterate that this is an OCD thing, as once it's all in bins in FCP, you can sort by Media Start - and I really like TOD code over standard TC - roll numbers and striping tapes are a bit 'old school' for TC, and does anyone really want to go back to offlining with XDCAM?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds