DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Cheek Guard Poll (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136517-ex3-cheek-guard-poll.html)

Ted OMalley October 23rd, 2008 01:17 PM

EX3 Cheek Guard Poll

I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not people are using the cheek guard on their EX3. I put mine on while unpacking it, and within a day I removed it. I felt is was not useful.

Now that fabrication has begun on a new EX3 shoulder mount, I realize that we will either need to design it to accommodate the guard, exclude the guard, or also manufacture a spacer so that they guard is optional.

Please let me know - do you use the cheek guard? Thanks!

Dan Chung October 23rd, 2008 01:58 PM

I don't find it useful except as a kind of added battery cover when folded over. Will probably take it off again.

Dan

Andy Wilkinson October 23rd, 2008 02:16 PM

In my opinion the plastic cheek guard was a cheap afterthought by Sony and I've never used it.

My guess is that those doing studio work (with all the cables plugged in the back of an EX3) might use it - but I'm still doubtful....anyone?

David Issko October 23rd, 2008 03:06 PM

I never liked the idea of the guard, so it is still in the EX3 box. How much longer before your base plate is ready for sale Ted?

Thanks very much.

Jason Davenport October 23rd, 2008 04:54 PM

I don't mind the guard.. Do you have any drawings you can post just to give us a taste..of your plan? And are you adding a shoulder support?

Erik Phairas October 23rd, 2008 06:39 PM

I only kept it in case I decide to add something to the back of the EX3... I can drill it into the gaurd or something... but it is just sitting in a box right now, same box as the viewfinder scope thingy.

Ted OMalley October 23rd, 2008 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm expecting a rough prototype in the next two weeks. Perhaps another two weeks for production?

Justin Benn October 23rd, 2008 08:57 PM

Not going to use it.

Still 'in the box', so to speak. And will likely stay there once I add a 3-point plate.

[Use the viewfinder regularly].

Jus.

David Issko October 24th, 2008 01:04 AM

Thanks Ted.
Sorry to be a pest, but what would you expect the cost for us end users be please?
Special rate for DVI members?
Thanks

Alister Chapman October 24th, 2008 03:06 AM

Use mine, makes the camera much more stable when hand-held. Wasn't going to use it as it does look a bit of an after thought, but after using it for a bit I do find it stops the camera wobbling from side to side.

Brian Cassar October 24th, 2008 04:26 AM

I agree with Alister. I use the EX3 for shoulder work 100% of the time and find the cheek pad indispensible for stabilisng the camera.

Ted OMalley October 24th, 2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 954942)
Thanks Ted.
Sorry to be a pest, but what would you expect the cost for us end users be please?
Special rate for DVI members?
Thanks

We're shooting for $300. We may have an option whereby we can provide an Anton-Bauer or IDX mount with power lead, but those adapter plates run close to $100 alone, nevermind adding a power lead and mounting it. So, in an effort to keep costs down, we'll do as someone else on the forum suggested and "keep it simple" at least to begin with.

Probably, if you have those batteries, you already have a mounting plate laying around. Therefore, a slight modification will enable you to mount it on the camera plate.

Arild Pedersen October 24th, 2008 12:42 PM

Stereo headphones and cheek pad

I am going to remove mine. It’s in conflict with my headphones. Or, perhaps modify it, make it a bit shorter.

Mike Chandler October 25th, 2008 01:58 PM

The cheek guard is clearly a cheap afterthought, nevertheless, it's useful. As Alister says, it gives added stability and prevents some left-leaning.

Keep it up, Ted, and keep it simple. Sounds like a great idea.

Dan Chung October 29th, 2008 10:03 AM

Ted,

Is there any way you could have an option for a bars interface? I have one already that I can supply pictures and a hole location diagram for if that helps?

Also if you can supply a v-lock power plate could you make sure it has both a d-tap and at least one hirose connector (like the bebob) please?

Thanks

Dan