need mic suspension that fits on Sony mic clamp: suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Major Player

need mic suspension that fits on Sony mic clamp: suggestions?

Hi there,

I need a good mic mount for my shotgun mic (a Rode NTG-1), but I'm limited because I really don't want to make my EX-1 set-up any 'taller'.
As it is, with either one or both of my RF receivers sitting on the hot shoe, I can't actually zip up my camera case completely... it's o.k., but I certainly can't go any higher. And I don't want to take things off and put them back on again when I put my camera away or take it out again.
So I went looking through some posts on this forum on shotgun mic mounts, not the kind that attach to the hot-shoe at the top of the camera, but ones that attach to the Sony mic mount, just above the XLR inputs. I only found one, the Rode SM5:

Rode | SM5 - Shotgun Microphone Suspension | SM5 | B&H Photo

Did I miss some posts? Are there other options available to me? If not, is this a good mount?

thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This is a good mount for what you want to do. Rode make great kit. I do believe I've seen some American product that is similar to this Rode - a quick search on here or a friendly post from someone your side of the pond should nail it.

Just be warned that the tube grip type mic attachment on these Sony EX1 and EX3's are not that strong - there have been several reports of them breaking on EX1's
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Major Player

I use the shoe mount version of that same shockmount on my EX1 with my Sennheiser 66. Works fine but it won't fit in the case with it on (Kata CC-10A). I slip it off the shoe and place next to camera in bag. No biggy.
Attached Thumbnails
need mic suspension that fits on Sony mic clamp: suggestions?-ex-1-5597.jpg  
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Major Player

The product you are thinking of the the J-Rod. Its an aluminum rod with a shoe on it that allows you to put the Rode SM3 or other shoe-mount suspension on it. It clamps into most mic clamps, including your Sony. There's also the J-Rod Twin, which has 2 shoes, one for the suspension, and another for your wireless receiver. thej-rod.com
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Trustee

I've tried SM5 with AT875R and I didn't like it, I could here zoom rocker, and I couldn't use it on dolly at all, sounded like a thunderstorm in my headphones, so I got the same as Ronn Kilby posted a pic. and replaced original mic. holder with this one: DM-Accessories - EX1-FLAT - Shoe Mount for Sony EX1, so I can use the cold shoe for the light,
so far I'm happy, really good isolation of any camera body sounds, would be great if you could test it before you buy, I couldn't;

best
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Major Player

invaluable stuff. Thank you all. I'll email the different manufacturers just to confirm questions re mic height, etc.
The idea of twin-mount, and being able to move one of my RF receivers here, is intriguing...
just goes to show that you can ask a question about one thing, and get answers for questions you didn't even think to ask.
Thanks very much,
Malcolm
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Major Player

I have a rode NTG-1 on my EX3, but the mic holder is very weak. So, I used this adapter after removing the Sony mic mount:

DM-Accessories - EX1-FLAT - Shoe Mount for Sony EX1

Then I used a K-tek shockmount:

K-Tek | Camera Shoemounting Shockmount | K-CAM-SSM | B&H Photo

And a shorthair windscreen:

Rycote | 10cm Medium Hole, Short Hair Softie | 034322 | B&H

It looks and works well, and when I place it in the bag I just slip the mount out of the cold shoe and lay it beside the camera (I don't even disconnect mic cables). It adds a few seconds putting it in and taking it out, but I could think of no other solutions that would be better.
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Ted,
How do you think the K-Tech shock mount compares to the Rode SM3? (The Rode looks like it would be quite a bit lower).
Cheers, Malcolm
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
I use the shoe mount version of that same shockmount on my EX1 with my Sennheiser 66. Works fine but it won't fit in the case with it on (Kata CC-10A). I slip it off the shoe and place next to camera in bag. No biggy.
Ronn, I use this same shoe mount on my EX3. Take a closer look and you will see that it comes apart with two screws, such that you can eliminate the middle piece. That lowers the height by more than half, provided you don't need the tilt "thingy". I have also opted for the DM-Accessories EX3 compatible mic mount as replacement for the stock Sony "flimsy thingy" which I removed as soon as the EX3 came out of the box. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi Ted,
How do you think the K-Tech shock mount compares to the Rode SM3? (The Rode looks like it would be quite a bit lower).
Cheers, Malcolm
Perhaps I'm just a self-conscious male, but I despise the "droop" that I have seen with that type of shockmount. I want my shotgun to point straight forward without sagging. The K-Tek is firm and does a nice job of keeping it straight.
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
I have a little tip regarding your shock mount (it looks like Røde SM3), I just discovered something when answering Malcolm's question.

If you don't need that "knee" on that shock mount and want to reduce the height, you can remove that knee segment from the shock mount assembly and drop the height of the shock mount by 1 1/4" / 30mm. My SM3 didn't include instructions or any paperwork that said this would work, but it looks like it was designed to work that way.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; October 28th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
If you don't need that "knee" on that shock mount and want to reduce the height, you can remove that knee segment from the shock mount assembly and drop the height of the shock mount by 1 1/4" / 30mm. .
I don't like that knee segment anyway. It's useful if you need to position the mic, but there is no space for that on a camcorder. The K-Tek suggested by Ted looks sturdy as the typical Sennheiser shockmounts pop their rubber bands just when you don't want them to.

How do the K-Tek bands fit if you mount them arching downward? I like the idea of shaving a few inches off the height. There is a LightWave minimount, although that sort of build comes at a higher price.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds