Playback stutters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Trustee

Playback stutters

We recently purchased a couple EX3's and we're doing some tests before using them in production. I'm the post production supervisor not a DP.

The DP decided that he wants to use 1080P30 which is fine by me. However in the first test he shot with everything on auto [just to see what it would do] 1080P30 and the shutter was 1/60.

When he does a slow pan across the room on a fairly wide shot it stutters a bit. Is this a progressive issue? Should we use a different shutter speed? Is it possibly an incorrect setting in FCP?

I realize this is a bit vague but I thought I would start here in hopes that someone who uses FCP would say "push this button" and all your troubles will be solved...

Anyway I'm glad to provide more information if someone needs it.

Thanks
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds pretty much like what I saw (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ing-birds.html) but lots of people say it's normal. I've not used the EX cameras seriously so would bow out vs those who have, but I didn't like what I saw 1 bit - and I'm used to progressive with Sony 750 and Varicam.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Stuttering is common to anything shot progressively as well as to film, which is identical to progressive because it's recording entire single frames and not interlaced frames.

Interlaced provides more images per second (60 fields per second) and looks smoother. Progressive provides fewer frames per second and breaks down movement into larger intervals: 30 per second instead of 60 as it would be with interlaced video. Thus the "stutter".

Adjusting shutter speeds can increase or reduce the apparent stutter but will not get rid of it entirely.
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Trustee

The large problem is that many judge motion on their PC LCD. Mine stutters more than normal progressive regardless what camera's footage I'm viewing on my system.

When I create the final master may it be DVD, BluRay, ect.. it plays back perfect on an HDTV.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I saw "stuttering" on TV screen and also on interlaced I shot with an EX1. I'm gonna do some EX3 and PDW700 side by side tests soon, will post results and hopefully clips if I can figure it out!
Steve
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
I saw "stuttering" on TV screen and also on interlaced I shot with an EX1. I'm gonna do some EX3 and PDW700 side by side tests soon, will post results and hopefully clips if I can figure it out!
Steve
How were you viewing it on your "TV screen", mastered to a media, or direct from the camera?
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Straight from the camera, presumably the purest way?
Steve
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Straight from the camera, presumably the purest way?
Steve
Yes, you would thinks so..
But, for some odd reason, it's different?

I noticed the difference when I first bought the camera almost a year ago.
Oddly, my JVC HD100 did the same thing. When viewed straight to my set, it had more judder than normal... very strange.

Has anyone else seen this difference with the EX1?

When I burn a BluRay, motion is normal. 24P has the normal 24P motion, and 1080 60i is smooth and sharp during pans. I'm not sure why the cadence appears to be different?

Someone else please compare this for my sanity! LOL
Burn a DVD, or BluRay and compare to direct from the camera.
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Steven, you are entirely correct... I shoot mostly 1080p and 720p overcranked and when previewing footage back on high end LCD or directly thru the camera to HDTV it almost looks like 24p judder sometimes...can look like footage is stuttering as described by Chuck. for real world results I render and master to Blu-ray disc or even Blu-ray format file and play back on PS3 and the results are absolutely amazing and perfectly smooth... and I am shooting DH MTB and Motocross with a lot of fast motion and pans.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Jason.
Maybe someone has an idea why the difference.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Steve T and Jason, are you saying you see judder viewing unedited footage on your screen, but if you render and master, it goes away? Is this so even when viewing it again on the same LCD screen (or HDTV)?
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes, burn a BluRay and compare to the same video direct video out to your HDTV.
The BluRay has normal motion.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #13
Major Player

yes burn a blu-ray or at least a Blu-ray file to playback on a PS3 if you have one.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #14
Trustee

Thanks everyone.

We would like to be creating Blu-Ray DVD's early next year. Jason, I'm interested in your workflow, especially your use of PS3.

We can make a different thread if you like.

Thanks
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Chuck, basically for Blu-ray file playback on PS3, I do the following. My NLE of choice now is Vegas but I still use FCP on occasion, but I use Vegas for this.... This is not exact as I am not in front of my machine but this is pretty close as far as I recall.

1.1920x1080 project select render as 1920x1080 Blu-ray 60i template
2. Customize template to progressive instead of interlace.
3. set type to MPEG 2
4. Set render to best
5. Set quality to best which is 31 I think
6. Audio must be set to include if you want it.
7. Under system tab you can select transport stream which will make the file a .m2t
8. Render
9. My last test preview was just under 12 minutes and file size was 2.5+ GB

Once complete create Folder called VIDEO place your .m2t file in it and copy it to a USB stick then you can plug it into your PS3 and copy it onto the PS3 harddrive then it will show up under the videos folder on the PS3.

You can also burn a normal DVD with AVCHD which is a Blu-Ray format with a bit rate of up to 24 Mbit/sec and play it back on the PS3 or so people say, I have not tried that yet but have heard it works well also.

Works Awsome!!

Let me know if you need specific instructions and I will explain in detail when I get back to the edit bay.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds