DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Time lapse settings for a canvas painter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136736-time-lapse-settings-canvas-painter.html)

Todd Moore October 27th, 2008 07:27 PM

Time lapse settings for a canvas painter?

I have a job filming a painting artist next week and would like to use some time lapse footage of her painting a canvas.
Not having my camera until the day of the shoot so I am unable to practice.
I know it probably depends on how long it takes her to paint the canvas but I will probably stop and change angles a few times.

Any tips re time lapse settings would be appreciated.

Dave Morrison October 27th, 2008 08:27 PM

I'd probably use Interval Recording at 1 frame per second which will give you lots of frames to work with. Then, if you need to speed things along a little bit faster, you can do it in post and you still have lots of material to work with. Manual focus and exposure, too.

Andrew Hollister October 27th, 2008 09:18 PM

Definitely don't cut yourself short, plan to have more frames than you need. I would think you'd be better spending time in Excel than with your camera. You can always remap time with Twixtor or your edit soft.

Todd Moore October 29th, 2008 02:46 AM

Thank you for the replies Andrew and Dave.
I have only ever shot using 1frame/second and thought I may need to use a different setting for a slow painter but your recomendations make sense.

Unfortunately I had a meeting with the client today and she didn't like the idea....as they say "the client is always right"

Dave Morrison October 29th, 2008 07:28 AM

That's too bad, Todd. I did a timelapse once of the glass artist Dale Chihuly as he and his team assembled a large sculpture out of glass. It was in the lobby of a museum and I did it with a small digital point-and-shoot camera. They loved it. Maybe you could do something similar while shooting the artist in the more "conventional" manner. Just put it on a tripod, set it and forget it. They might like it after they see it. Here's a link to a similar timelapse that I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 990 at 1 frame every 2 seconds:

Twilight timelapse on Vimeo

Cory Trepanier November 6th, 2008 01:15 AM

Example or artist painting with timelapse (interval) with EX1

I'm an artist myself documenting my largest painting to date (9ft. x 5ft.) with my EX1 for a an online video series that you can watch here: Cory Trepanier's Into The ARCTIC Project: An Artist's Journey to the North.

Here's my settings:
- 1 frame/1 second while moving more quickly (stretching easel, laying in paint fast at beginning of piece.
- I'm slowing down on the progress of the painting and adding more detail, so now am using 1 frame every 4 to 6 seconds.
- USING FRAME ACCUMULATION set at 64 frames (have to switch ND filter to 2 to get proper exposure). Gives a nice smooth look to motion.

Hope that helps someone!