ex1 mic clamp replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ex1 mic clamp replacement

anyone know where i can buy a mic clamp for the ex1? broke mine a few weeks ago.

tia
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

sony mic clamp on EX1

Look here for a start

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ggestions.html
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's what I used:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/956274-post7.html
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can order a replacement microphone holder from Sony. I posted about it here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/947068-post72.html
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Chiefetz View Post
You can order a replacement microphone holder from Sony. I posted about it here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/947068-post72.html
thank you. just ordered it.
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Ted,
I just asked Bob Grant this on another thread, but since you have the same set-up (at least I think you do): how much higher is your mic now, than it used to be in the Sony mic clamp?
(I'm the guy who's wanting the lowest profile possible, so I can continue to fit my camera in my case; but I also want to protect my mic, a Rode NTG-1, from camera noise).

Don, please be aware that many EX-1 owners are saying that the Sony mic clamp is badly designed, or badly built (or both); anyway, it seems to break. That's why many EX-1 owners are looking for a replacement.

Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Major Player

From the center of the opening of the original mic clamp to the center of the opening of the K-tec clamp, it is about 3-1/4 inches. From the top of the built-in mic/button area to the top of the mount is 3-3/4 inches. My windscreen adds even more height.

It's fine while shooting, I just remove it all to stow it.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ted. I'm still wanting to "take the low road" when it comes to my mic; in every other respect, I love your set-up. I appreciate the measuring... really helps.
Malcolm
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Trustee

I've done the same as Ted.
Using the DeMaagd flat and K-Tek mount to hold a Sanken CS-1. It takes moments to remove the mic for transport and the camera fits into a smaller case than with the Sony "break away" mic clamp. The extra height the K-Tek mount gives over the Sony clamp is a bonus that you'd appreciate if you use a WA adaptor or matte box plus it can't but help reduce pickup of camera noise.
The CS-1 is shorter then the Rode mics, another thing that keeps the camera's profile small.
For the mic to camera cable I'm using Neutriks connectors and Mogami cable but I'm thinking to replace that with a kit from Loon audio that comes with a lightweight molded XLR plug for the mic.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes, the Sanken CS-1 is a little over one inch shorter, and a little narrower. It makes up for it's small size in price, costing 3-1/2 times as much as the rode!

I'm not saying it's not a good mic. I'm just saying that the difference in cost is much more noticeable than the diffence in size.
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Bob,
good to hear from you as well as Ted - - much appreciated expertise. I'm now hesitating because I heard from the maker of the J-Rod that he's just now testing a new prototype of his Twin Mount (which will hold a mic and an RF receiver) that sounds promising. I had expressed my reservations to him about the current Twin Mount (and the original J-Rod), saying that anything that used Sony's less-than-perfect mic clamp, and added extra weight to boot (Bob, you'd expressed concern about this) was asking for trouble; he wrote back today to say that his new prototype will replace Sony's mic clamp. (good to know that entrepreneurs and manufacturers listen to what people on these forums have to say!). So this might be good for me.
I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the new Loon cables. I noticed in one of your pictures that you use 90-degree XLR plugs (if that's the right term), which is something I've done as well. But mine are metal, and heavy, so light, plastic ones might be a good idea. I just googled Loon Audio, and don't see mention of them... can you tell me where to look?
Thanks again, Malcolm
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #12
Trustee

I haven't bought one as yet but it'd be the same connector as what's on their other cables. They're listed on the accessories page LOON AUDIO - ACCESSORIES towards the bottom of the page. You might want to drop Loon an email just to check what that kit includes as there's no picture.

If you want to mount serious amounts of goodies on your EX1/3 and don't want to start using rods and matte boxes there's this HDV Handle Bracket | VFGadgets.com. I've seen one on an EX1 handle so it does fit.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Bob, they say HDV Handle Bracket can sustain up to 35 kg shear load; do you think a 10.9" monitor could be on it safely?
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Bob, thanks for the tip about the handle bracket, but I use the handle 95% of the time, and anything sitting on the handle would get in my way. I'll try to get more info from Loon re the cables and plugs.
Cheers, Malcolm
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Bob, they say HDV Handle Bracket can sustain up to 35 kg shear load; do you think a 10.9" monitor could be on it safely?
My biggest worry is the tripod mounting plate on the EX1 itself. Whatever weight you add to the camera, it plus the weight of the camera is all held onto the tripod by that plate. We've already got one EX1 with a plate that's separating from the camera.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds