Is heat an issue w/SxS Cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Is heat an issue w/SxS Cards?

Has anyone else noticed how friggin' hot these cards get in the camera? And how hot the rear 4th of the camera gets, generally, under normal use? Doesn't seem like a good thing. Just wondering.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I took my EX1 to Iraq in August with plus 52 degrees celsius shade temperature - it was seriously scary in more ways than one, but the EX and the SxS didn't twitch despite getting hotter than I could comfortably hold, at one point I shoved the whole rig in a fridge for 30 minutes, came out slightly cooler, but not much!

Paul
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Paul - good to know you had no problems. I shot all over the deserts of Namibia last year with a Z1U and that camera never got even close to as hot as the EX1 in normal use. I guess that's why they have the "flow-through ventilation" on the EX1. But when I change a card, it's sometime hard to even hold it coming out of the camera.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I haven't taken my EX3 to extreme temperatures just yet, but I have not encountered any heat issues with my sxs cards. Yes, they do get warm, but that is about it.

I think that you should check the heat issue once again and if the cards get as hot ass you have previously encountered, get the camera checked as nothing in the camera should get so hot.

One thing, are you using the camera in a rain cover or camera cover when the sxs card/camera gets hot?

Best of luck with sorting out what seems to be a potentially serious problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds