DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   onlocation cs3 problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136965-onlocation-cs3-problem.html)

Mark Twittey October 31st, 2008 10:59 AM

onlocation cs3 problem

I am trying to get my EX3 to output via firewire to my Laptop running onlocation cs3.
I can see the audio bouncing on the program but no vision.
I have tried on 2 different computers, on those onlocation cannot even see the EX3.
I have tried putting the firewire into a Sony HDV/DV recorder and it works fine, so I know the camera is outputting, I have selected SP as the EX3 recording format.
What I can't understand is when I connect the EX3 to a computer, it sees the EX3, installs some drivers and says av/c tape device found.
Any ideas?

Paul Newman October 31st, 2008 11:07 AM

Are you outputting SP? ie: 1440x1080 HDV stream, On Location cannot see HQ formats, at least the version I have can't, its DV and HDV only.
Paul

Mark Twittey October 31st, 2008 11:15 AM

Yes I am as I said in my post I selected SP recording mode.
Is there another?

Mark Twittey November 1st, 2008 02:31 AM

Hi Paul,
when you connect your camera to your computer can you see it in "My Computer"?
Should I be seeing it in "My Computer"?
Thanks

Paul Newman November 1st, 2008 02:59 AM

I can't get anything out of the EX1 at all so far in to OnLoc CS3 or to capture into an NLE where my Z1 is perfect in both.

I've fiddled with the output settings but no joy so far - gotta go out on a shoot now, I'll
fiddle more later - drivers?

Paul

Ronn Kilby November 1st, 2008 08:49 AM

Is this the full version of On-Location or the demo? I think I read that the demo does not do HDV, only DV.

Paul Newman November 1st, 2008 09:15 AM

Mine is full version and works with my Z1 - but the EX1 does not appear in the devices list -strange - gotta root around in the camera menu's more I think.

Paul

Paul Newman November 1st, 2008 09:25 AM

OK, In the "Others" ( last one) menu on the EX1, i link I/O must be set to "on" and you must be in an SP mode for HDV to be output. In OnLoc CS3 Sony HDV-DV camcorder should appear in the devices drop down list, select and away ye go!

Paul

Mark Twittey November 1st, 2008 09:54 AM

Hi Paul,
I have done all that you have done and still nothing.
Sony camera is not in the Device list.
Only the Sound card.
In what order do you turn things on?
Maybe it's a recogtition problem.
Do you also see the camera in Windows "My Computer"?

Paul Newman November 1st, 2008 10:00 AM

Have you got HDV file format set to M2t in the OnLoc menu? and yes I get Sony PMW EX1 in device manager

actually makes no difference whether its mpeg or m2t
can you verify your firewire cable is good? do you have another HDV source to test with?

Paul

Mark Twittey November 1st, 2008 12:10 PM

Hi Paul,
I will go into the office tomorrow afternoon and give the settings a try.
I have an Sony HDV deck I will try that as well.
I will report back!

Michael Maier November 1st, 2008 09:45 PM

Mark, your problem is most likely graphics card related. I'm having the same problem. I can see the scopes going, I can see the audio meters going but no video on the monitor. It's an overlay problem. But I haven't figured how to solve it yet. Is your laptop older? Try updating your chipset and graphics card drivers. It may solve it. For me it didn't work though. I will look into it some more when I get the time.

Mark Twittey November 2nd, 2008 07:32 AM

I have used 3 different cables still on go.
I fed the EX3 into my Sony Recording deck and I get a picture, but with a time lag.
If I move the camera the image on the built in monitor moves about 2 seconds later!
I have tried the recorder into onLocation and it works if outputting DVCAM but not if it is
in HDV mode.
I have tried putting the recorder feed into the HP Mininote Laptop, which is new, and
again I can get it to take an DVCAM signal But not HDV.
How do select HDV mode in ONlocation I cannot find it anywhere.
Also can someone confirm that they see their EX3 in windows when conected?
I do not see it in My Computer, but see av/c tape device in Device manager.
If I connect my recorder in DVCAM mode I see it in My Computer, I do not in HDV Mode.
HDV is seen by my Editing program Liquid XE, so I know the computer can see a feed, just not ONlocation.

Paul Newman November 2nd, 2008 09:01 AM

In On Loc hit the "menu" button on the monitor and it should say DV file format then HDV file format, if it does not, then you nust have a trial version or its not registered or some such thing as only the full version will work with HDV.

There is an awful lag in On Loc when using HDV, all the transport stream processing makes it very poor for realtime monitoring, and mine "pumps" ie, the video level pulses up and down, even on a static shot, almost looking like a "long gop" thing - strange.

Paul