What's the consensus on 5.8/f1.9? Has anybody done any serious tests? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Trustee

What's the consensus on 5.8/f1.9? Has anybody done any serious tests?

Has anybody done any serious tests for performance at 5.8 full wide with f1.9 fully open?
What is the consensus? Avoid like the plague, acceptable, very good? Details?
Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
Has anybody done any serious tests for performance at 5.8 full wide with f1.9 fully open?
What is the consensus? Avoid like the plague, acceptable, very good? Details?
Thanks.
Great question! I just got finished running some tests. I'll post the photo evidence in a few moments. I've attached a photo of the setup.

Basically the test was:

Set up a background and place a resolution test on it. In this case, I chose a 5 dollar bill. US money has some very intricate work that will show up detail well.

I then zoomed the camera out fully, opened up the iris fully, and swung just enough light on it to get a good exposure. I moved the camera in closely enough to fill the frame, focused with the expanded focus and peaking, and hit record.

I'm pretty curious to see how "bad" the camera is wide open and fully zoomed out. I think I will also do a test of this af F16 with no ND filters to see how bad it is in the far end of the iris.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the consensus on 5.8/f1.9? Has anybody done any serious tests?-pic-0048.jpg  
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ok,

Here is the photo evidence...
Attached Thumbnails
What's the consensus on 5.8/f1.9? Has anybody done any serious tests?-5dollarbill.jpg  
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Major Player

not bad for a 1.5 to 2 x reproduction.
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'd say the performance is more than acceptable. In a common master or wide shot, this level of sharpness would be AWFULLY impressive. We are resolving details on less than 1 mm in this shot. Taking a wide shot of an outdoor scene, or an interior room, this is going to look razor sharp.

When I get a chance, I'll replicate down at between F16 and closed.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Perrone, I'd just like to thank you for all the time you've spent on helping us/tests/etc. It's great!
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sands View Post
Perrone, I'd just like to thank you for all the time you've spent on helping us/tests/etc. It's great!
It's been my pleasure. I am learning right along with you guys.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Ok,

Here is the photo evidence...
Honest Ab is looking a bit weathered on your bill, guess it is understandable giving all the upheaval on Wall St. and in Banks.

Thanks Perrone for your tests. They are reassuring us that we have made a good investment:-)
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #9
Trustee

I would suggest that you try to frame the bill to take up the entire picture so you can see whether you are flat across the frame. Most aberrations will hit the corners first.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I would suggest that you try to frame the bill to take up the entire picture so you can see whether you are flat across the frame. Most aberrations will hit the corners first.
I was holding the bill with two clips. I couls see I wasn't flat because the subject wasn't flat. I encourage you to pick up the ball and run with it. Let us know what you find.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'd help with the tests but after getting two of these cameras I don't have a $5 bill to shoot.

I'd have to do it with loose change... :-)
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Dean,
I throw my remaining 2 cents in ;-)
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #13
Trustee

To give you the money I'd have to send you the bill.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #14
Trustee

Perrone ,
What I meant by flat was not whether the bill was flat, but by not framing it all the way to the corners all you were testing was resolution in the center.
However it is generally likely that resolution problems will show themselves in the corners first.
This is generally true for low f stops at least, but may not be true in the case of of high f stops on the Ex-1 since the resolution issues there appear to be caused by diffraction around the small iris. (Actually is diffraction is the right word there? I'm tired so I might have the wrong term.)

I have looked at resolution wide open using a 4' chart and thought it was very even but I didn't think to try it at more closed f stops. I'll take a look if I get a chance. Clearly by f8 though it starts to suck big time.

Another question would be whether testing on such a small object , with such a close focus and zoomed way in, is a good way to test a lens. The lens is probably designed to function best at normal distances not for extreme CU's.

I don't mean to knock you for doing the tests as every piece of information helps, and I appreciate the effort. As somebody who used to test lenses for cine cameras in a rental house though I'm used to thinking about these issues. Its a good idea to think carefully about all the variables when testing so that you aren't wasting your own time and actually come up with useful results.

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds