DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Question About Phantom Powered Mics & EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137088-question-about-phantom-powered-mics-ex3.html)

Jay Gladwell November 2nd, 2008 03:50 PM

Question About Phantom Powered Mics & EX3

Having never used a mic that uses phantom power, I have a question.

Using a mic on the EX3 that uses phantom power requires nothing more than switching to +48V, and the mic draws power from the camera's battery is that correct?

Jon Sands November 2nd, 2008 04:20 PM

Perfectly correct.

Jay Gladwell November 2nd, 2008 05:30 PM

Thanks, Jon.

How much power consumption does a mic put on the battery? Is it significant?

Ted OMalley November 2nd, 2008 06:08 PM

Nearly none at all. I can't tell any difference with my mic. Bear in mind, a lot of these mics optionally have a battery compartment. A single AA battery can power the mic for weeks.

Jay Gladwell November 2nd, 2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 958849)
Nearly none at all. I can't tell any difference with my mic. Bear in mind, a lot of these mics optionally have a battery compartment. A single AA battery can power the mic for weeks.

Thanks, Ted. I'm looking at the Sanken CS-1. It doesn't take a battery. That's why I was asking.

Ted OMalley November 2nd, 2008 07:51 PM

And I selected the Rode NG-1 because it was small due to no battery compartment. EX3's phantom power does its job and it works well and I don't notice any increased battery draw.

Dave Morrison November 2nd, 2008 09:59 PM

Jay, this chart is a good place to start to see what brands and models of mics draw in mAh from the phantom power circuits. Some mic pre's are not very robust in their voltage reserves and can cause all sorts of anomolies if they are loaded down with a power-hungry mic.

Sound Devices: Microphone Phantom Powering

Bob Grant November 3rd, 2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 958864)
Thanks, Ted. I'm looking at the Sanken CS-1. It doesn't take a battery. That's why I was asking.

I've got the CS-1 on my EX1. Good combination as the CS-1 is quite short. Get the K-Tek mount made specifically for that mic and all will be good. The mic body is quite short so most of the other mounts will not hold it properly.
Be aware though, the CS-1 has a quite narrow pickup, remarkably so for how short it is.

Jay Gladwell November 3rd, 2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 958918)
Jay, this chart is a good place to start to see what brands and models of mics draw in mAh from the phantom power circuits.

Thanks, Dave, for the link--good resource! Just wish I could understand what it was saying. According to the Sanken, the mic's current consumption is <3mA. It sounds good, but I really don't know what it's saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 958940)
Be aware though, the CS-1 has a quite narrow pickup, remarkably so for how short it is.

That's my understanding. It should work very well for the majority of the work I do.

Ted OMalley November 3rd, 2008 09:48 AM

Bear in mind, there are two different K-Tec styles - the regular and the short. The short one has the brackets much closer together and that is what you'll want for your mic.

K-Tek | Camera Shoemounting Shockmount | K-CAM-SSM | B&H Photo