DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3, PD150 & HC1 Size Comparison Pic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137111-ex3-pd150-hc1-size-comparison-pic.html)

Andy Wilkinson July 31st, 2008 04:02 AM

EX3, PD150 & HC1 Size Comparison Pic

3 Attachment(s)
Excuse the quickly composed pictures - not an example of my best photography! - but I think worth posting now as it shows the size nicely with well know models from the past (actually they still get used!)

Andy

Andy Wilkinson July 31st, 2008 05:59 AM

PMW-EX3 in Petrol PWR-HDV Roller Bag (Pictures)

4 Attachment(s)
Four further pics. I had to take the central divide out of the bag completely. Initially I was unhappy about putting it in the bag with the viewfinder scope on - risk of too much force on this part I think but if that was simply detached and placed in a padded bag alongside the EX3 it will go no problem.

The third picture shows the best position I can find after a few more minutes playing around WITH the scope attached, the camera going in at an angle and the scope dipping down. This is certainly workable as there is no "pressure" on any critical parts - the bag zips up easily - see the latest pic I added, the 4th shot, a top view shot. It's not that elegant but it is going to be my solution for now - see my next post about another petrol bag.

Obviously, this is not an optimium bag solution for the EX3 (as there is little room left for all the ancillaries) but it will work. Now you know!

Hope all this helps!

Andy Wilkinson July 31st, 2008 06:15 AM

PMW-EX3 in Petrol PCCB-2N Bag

2 Attachment(s)
And here it is in my other bag. There is more room but it's just a little tight across the top when you zip it up - not so much that it really would worry me. I had to adjust the viewfinder & it's scope position to it's lowest and furthest away point to get it in the bag and be able to zip it up - that is the position it's at in this pic. There is about 8cm (2.5 to 3 inches) in front of the camera's hood to the end of the bag when it's put in with the shoulder pad not extended.

In this bag you could leave the scope attached - but I'd still take it off as that only takes a second anyway.

So another non-perfect but workable EX3 bag solution you now know about!

In both cases my Petrol bags are a little too small for me to outright recommend them to you - but the'll get me by until I can find what might be.

Ted OMalley July 31st, 2008 06:31 AM

Andy,

Thanks for the info. In your second bag, the PCCB-2N, the side of the bag seems to be pressing against the viewfinder. I suppose that the lessor evil of all the way that you could press against it, but it just seems like a solid bump on the side of the bag might tweak it just right -- or just wrong.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of my bag and camera - hopefully, one day, we'll have a couple of "perfect" solutions!

Andy Wilkinson July 31st, 2008 06:49 AM

Ted, I agree entirely. I've decided this could be an "impact danger zone" - so why take the risk? I've decided I will be using the HDV Roller Bag for the camera...and all the sound gear etc. that won't now fit will be going in the PCCB-2N. I just need someone to help me lump all my gear around now!

Jon Braeley July 31st, 2008 09:46 AM

Not sure if you noticed this yet, but the viewfinder on the EX-3 has a lever under the handle, that when loosened allows the viewfinder to move back and forth and this also can make the viewfinder dip a little lower for packing in a bag. Also it allows the viewfinder to be pulled out quite far from the body.