DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   On Set Camera Setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137186-set-camera-setup.html)

Chuck Spaulding November 4th, 2008 01:25 PM

On Set Camera Setup

I just captured footage from our first three EX3 three camera shoot and man are the levels all over the place.

Generally I don't have anything to do with production but in this case I feel I need to work with the camera people to correct this.

What tools are available and what is the best way to match these cameras on set?

I did have the opportunity to play with Adobe OnLocation (before Adobe purchased them) but I seem to remember it only worked with firewire and I'm not sure that would work with XDCAM HQ.

As always any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Issko November 4th, 2008 02:11 PM

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the trials and tribulations that is camera matching. even on the sony factory preset, no 2 ex cameras will be exactly the same. at an absolute minimum, i suppose you could white balance the cams on the same white object under the same lighting conditions and see what colour temp you get. although the ex3 black balances at switch on, you could do a manual bb.

that might be sufficient to 'match' the cameras to a degree, all being equal. but you really need some colour & grey scale test charts to match the cameras properly, setting them up on picture profiles. you could do one camera and transfer the pp to the others, but they might not match properly but should be mighty close though.

ensure that you are working manual iris on all cams as well, ensuring that you match exposure.

pretty much that is the basic info for matching multi cams together.

best wishes

Chuck Spaulding November 4th, 2008 03:32 PM

Thanks David.

I was wondering if there were any measurement tools that could be used with the Ex3.

Although I'm here in CA I'm from Geelong...

Jason Davenport November 4th, 2008 03:45 PM

Just take one of the camera to a local rental house and have one of their engineers go thought a set-up, for a look you like, then save those settings in the menu under Camera Data and "store" (on your SxS card ). Then put that card in the other cameras and select Camera Data and "recall". Then all your camera will match, of course you will need to change the clip info for each.

Don't be messing with On Location on location, no need, if you do it beforehand. Plus you have a histogram for each camera and or Waveform on a HD monitor.
I do a two camera show every Tuesday with 2 EX-3's, match every time. Just make sure your camera ops know where to set the iris. If they have to ride it, have them use there zebras or histograms.

P.S. Camera Data stored on a EX-1 will not transfer to a EX-3, only EX-3 to EX-3.

Denis OKeefe November 4th, 2008 04:58 PM

Camera data on the EX 1 and EX 3

Using a combination of EX 1 and EX 3 cameras I got a pretty good match by using the same picture profile in all the units. To get the card to read in either camera it is necessary to copy the SUF file to the proper subfolder under the SONY folder. There is a separate subfolder for the EX1 and the EX3. Copy the SUF file into each ( the same file, different locations) and then it can be read by either camera. I keep a copy of the card files on my laptop and can write it to all the cards before starting a shoot. Makes matching the different cameras pretty easy.

David Issko November 5th, 2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding (Post 959556)
Thanks David.
Although I'm here in CA I'm from Geelong...

Off topic completely, but condolences about Geelong and the Grand Final.

Sean Donnelly November 5th, 2008 06:22 AM

The great thing about the EX3 for multicam work is the remote terminal. If you want to have complete control, rent an RMB750, and use it to create, save, and move a scene file based off of a DSC Labs chart that all cameras are looking at. It's the same way I usually work with F900's and similar cameras.