PMW-EX3 Base Plate - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #16
Major Player

Got mine delivered to the UK today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
I had been quite concerned about my camera wobbling on my tripod since day one because of the flimsy fixing point that has been discussed on a number of threads here. My camera would shake in the wind and certain zoom/pan combos were quite difficult to start without the wobble.

Well as from today, that is a problem of the past because I took delivery of my very expensive but superb base plate that I lashed out big bucks for from VF Gadgets (big bucks was not their fault). I bought the heavy duty plate with the VCT-U14 Sony quick release adapter and the back plate for my V-Lock batteries. The camera sits on my Miller DS20 rock solid now. The plate, adapter & screws took about a week to arrive from Canada, all the while I was able to track its whereabouts, so I knew when to expect the plate.

I am now not concerned about accidentally ripping out the single screw plate from the base of the camera as the plate is now anchored to the body by the same screw plate plus two screw holes at the very back of the camera. A now very solid connection with 3 well spaced anchor points. Not that I am ever rough with the camera, but accidents do occur.
I put mine on immediately. Like a prophylactic. And I bought mine for the same reasons. I simply can't afford the downtime and repair cost of a sheared 'native' bijou baseplate-lette that Sony carelessly designed in.

Cheap? No.

Reassured? Thusfar, yes.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I think this hinged design will be better, as it will not only provide the mounting benefits, but also will offer better weight distribution. I'm expecting the prototype to ship to me today. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it works.
Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress Ted! I'm really looking forward to adding your shoulder/tripod mount to my EX3. From all the research I've done, your design still looks the most logical and highest performing to me! I shoot from the shoulder A LOT, and am looking to make the camera's ergonomics better!
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
I'm looking at the VF Gadgets Bottom Plate for PWM-EX3 camera. Is this the cheapest and most reliable plate in it's class? Currently it's $349. I will be mounting this to my Miller DS20 head.
As there are not many quality plates around (for the EX3), this is probably BOTH the cheapest and most reliable plate in its class!!!! Seriously, it is not cheap but yes, it is a terrific plate and anchors the camera to the VCT-14 very well.

As it is anchored to the VCT by the front wedge, the back of the camera sits proud of the VCT by a few mm, so you can wobble the camera a little. In normal operating modes, no problem. I too have a DS 20 and the camera balances perfectly.

Of course Ted's gem is coming out soon (sorry again Ted, I just could not wait for yours), then you will have 2 excellent base plates to compare.

In the meantime, the VF Gadgets is the way to go if you need a plate now.

Best.
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Fink View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress Ted! I'm really looking forward to adding your shoulder/tripod mount to my EX3. From all the research I've done, your design still looks the most logical and highest performing to me! I shoot from the shoulder A LOT, and am looking to make the camera's ergonomics better!
Zach,

Me too! I'm going nuts everytime I have to use the camera without it!
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Issko View Post
As there are not many quality plates around (for the EX3), this is probably BOTH the cheapest and most reliable plate in its class!!!! Seriously, it is not cheap but yes, it is a terrific plate and anchors the camera to the VCT-14 very well.

As it is anchored to the VCT by the front wedge, the back of the camera sits proud of the VCT by a few mm, so you can wobble the camera a little. In normal operating modes, no problem. I too have a DS 20 and the camera balances perfectly.

Of course Ted's gem is coming out soon (sorry again Ted, I just could not wait for yours), then you will have 2 excellent base plates to compare.

In the meantime, the VF Gadgets is the way to go if you need a plate now.

Best.
Yes, David, you are correct. And honestly, I've almost bought their mount twice myself! But, I really wanted the pivoting battery for weight distribution and wanted to provide an alternative to other users who aren't as rich as you! ;-)
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
and wanted to provide an alternative to other users who aren't as rich as you! ;-)
LOL,

You are right also. You see, until I bought the VF Gadgets base plate, I WAS rich!!! Now not so. Oh well. Back to work to pay for it all.
Best wishes for your plate.

David
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #22
Major Player

What's the purpose of having the VCT-14; to quickly remove the camera? I am thinking about buying either Ted's plate or VF Gadget's plate, and was just planning on mounting my DS20 shoe to the plate directly. Would this work? I'm new to the quick release plate realm.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
What's the purpose of having the VCT-14; to quickly remove the camera? I am thinking about buying either Ted's plate or VF Gadget's plate, and was just planning on mounting my DS20 shoe to the plate directly. Would this work? I'm new to the quick release plate realm.
Yes. Both do (well Ted's no doubt will as it is not quite ready) a superb job. The base plate(s) secure the EX3 camera to the tripod so much better than what is available from the camera itself. You can, of course, attach the EX3 to the DS20's slide in shoe to the camera but it really is a fairly delicate and wobbly connection. I cannot comment on the EX1 as I do not own it and used it only once very briefly months ago without paying any attention to the connection.

Nonetheless, the DS20's slide shoe screws nice and tightly to the bottom of the VCT, slide the VCT onto the DS20. Temporarily lock it in place and slip the camera onto the VCT plate, making sure that it is securely fastened. Add all your bits and pieces to the camera, loosen the VCT and balance the camera. I have the counterbalance set on 2 on my DS20. Works a real treat.

Best wishes
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks David,
So will I need both a VCT-14 and Ted's plate? Can someone send a picture of their setup so I can see the plates in action? I'm taking the camera to Africa in Jan. and I'd hate to break the bottom plate, or have the camera fall off.
Thanks!
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks David,
So will I need both a VCT-14 and Ted's plate?
Thanks!
Yes, you will and the tripod shoe/plate/slide mount to connect the camera/base plate to the tripod. It's very, very easy once you have the component bits in front of you. Just use a large flat head screwdriver to attach the tripod shoe to the bottom of the base plate.

With VF Gadgets' plate, you need a hex/allen key to attach the plate to the camera. Ted will no doubt have a similar arrangement with the same screws or philips head.

Really, its very easy, but even still, DO NOT over tighten the base plate to the camera, especially to the front mounting screw hole.

I tried to post a pic but when I attached the 200kb JPEG, the upload times out.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #26
Major Player

TED, ETA and Prices yet on your plate?

Thank you for all of the information David.

Ted, any ETA on your plate and approximate price? I am in need of a plate really soon and I want to check your plate before I go with VF Gadgets version.
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #27
Major Player

Great news, everyone!

The prototype is complete, and is very nearly a finished product. It is enroute to me and I expect it Friday or Saturday (along with the Sony VCT-U14 tripod plate!). It has the built-in Sony wedge adapter for the plate, it has the full base support, back plate with hinge, and it is even already pre-drilled for an available Anton-Bauer mounting plate that we'll be able to provide.

We've sourced an Anton-Bauer Gold-mount adapter plate that has an EX3 cable built-in as well as provides two P-tap ports. They don't use Hirose on their plates so that wasn't an option, but you can certainly adapt to Hirose.

My job is to verify build quality and specifications and give the green light for production, probably with a few notes for very minor adjustments. I'm pretty confident, because the fabricator invested in an EX3 in order to take measurements and test fit!!

My last job, maybe the hardest part, will be to find an appropriate pad for the shoulder. I'm considering several gel or memory foam ones right now. The hard part is durability and production costs. I'd like to avoid an original product, as the startup costs are too high.

Anyway, I'll be using my bracket this weekend, and by Monday I expect we'll initiate production! We should start accepting pre-orders next week as well - this will give us an idea of the quantity to produce in the first run.

They're almost DONE!!
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #28
Major Player

Ted,

I was going to order the VF gadgets plate but seeing as you are so close I'm going to hold out till I at least see your pictures. Can't wait.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #29
Regular Crew

What Dan said
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #30
Major Player

I'm in line ...

Give us a heads up ... I'll get it. What do you think the pricing will run?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds