PMW-EX3 Base Plate - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #31
Major Player

I awaiting this with more anticipation than the RED scarlet :)

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #32
Major Player

Wait no longer! Well, just a little longer...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/964209-post1.html
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #33
Major Player

Looks great Ted! I really like the shoulder support. I'm looking forward in seeing the production model. Will there be an option to buy only the base plate and shoulder support? I won't be using anton batteries, but I will be using the Sony BP-U60.

DOES IT COME IN BLACK?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #34
Major Player

How about Sony or PAG V lock batteries? maybe a PAG plate can be fixed in some way.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
Looks great Ted! I really like the shoulder support. I'm looking forward in seeing the production model. Will there be an option to buy only the base plate and shoulder support? I won't be using anton batteries, but I will be using the Sony BP-U60.

DOES IT COME IN BLACK?
Yes, there will be an option to NOT have the hinge plate, as well as the option to add it at a later date if you change your mind.

And you'd have to ask Jeff about the color for the anodization. I'm guessing black, but that is the most difficult color, I'm told.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
How about Sony or PAG V lock batteries? maybe a PAG plate can be fixed in some way.
Bruce,

Jeff is at a point now where he want to accommodate for gear that you guys use - can only help sales. There's no reason that he can't accommodate a variety of popular bolt patterns.

That said, Anton-Bauer came to us! That's right, some of you contacted them about our project and the came to use supplying us with a demo plate and battery to test with. Now, they are custom-building a plate to accommodate our needs with the EX3 lead, etc.

Perhaps you (or anyone else) that really appreciates a particular brand can contact them. If they can ship Jeff a mounting plate right away, it should be pretty simple and I would think that Jeff would like to accommodate (haven't spoken about this directly with him).

I did try for IDX, but they insist that they never provide demo product - we could just buy it. Also, electronics/wiring/soldering would be up to us to provide -- they wouldn't do that. Not to say that we couldn't accommodate them down the road, but in regards to getting product out quickly to those who have waited so patiently, it seem that a finished product supplied by the manufacturer was really the way to go. Anton Bauer made this very easy and painless.

Of course, if your handy, you could do anything you want with the mount you buy.
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #37
Major Player

Thanks Ted, I am sure that I can get a few holes drilled. Just saving up for an EX1.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #38
Major Player

Ted,

What's the latest?

Dan
Old November 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Yes, there will be an option to NOT have the hinge plate, as well as the option to add it at a later date if you change your mind.
Hi Tedd, so if I've understood you right, one can be able to buy just the base plate with the wedge adaptor (to connect to Sony's VCT-14 tripod plate) and the shoulder pad piece?

That would be great as I have already bought the Bebob V-lock battery mount and hence I do not need another battery attahment - but I surely need an unobtrusive shoulder support such as yours.

Those not using the hinged plate have a perfect place where to attach the Flash XDR recorder (being close to the SDI output!)
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #40
Major Player

Ted???

Stay hanging on, any more word?

Dan
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #41
Major Player

from the DeMaagd Accesories website:

Coming soon: EX3 reinforcement plate & shoulder brace
A reinforcement plate and shoulder brace kit for Sony PMW-EX3 will be made available soon. Available options will be a reinforcement plate that stiffens the EX3 structure, an add-on shoulder brace and battery mount plate kit, as well as a battery mount for at least one battery system. Also, the reinforcement plate and shoulder brace will allow the use of a “Wedge” plate for mounting on VCT-U14 tripod quick release plate. This wedge plate will be offered as an option.

I'm just waiting for the final product as well. I believe Jeff has machined the bottom plates and is working his way back. He told me prior to the weekend that his goal was to get everything to the anodizers by weeks end.

As SOON as I get a final product, I'll take pics and Jeff will post them - but I have a feeling that he'll be taking orders before then!

By the way, though the prototype has a few deficencies that we've remedied, it is really nice. By adding about 3 pounds or less to the rearmost plate, the camera becomes perfectly balanced. By offsetting the weight location to the right, your right-hand grip fall directly into the center of gravity - NO MORE WRIST STRAIN!

Also, I fashioned a weight-mounting location out of a 1 inch cyliner and located it to tuck into my EX3's unused battery compartment when closed. When opened, I drop a 2.5lb barbell weight (wal-mart for a dollar or two) onto the cylinder and I have acheived balance.

I'd also like a compact lead weight just slightly smaller than the BP-U60 battery. I'd mount it in the same location and it would tuck in the battery comparment when closed, and be in the right place when opened!
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #42
Major Player

Ted,

Thanks for the update. I'm contacting Jeff right now!

Thanks

Dan
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM   #43
Tourist

Quote:
from the DeMaagd Accesories website:

Available options will be a reinforcement plate that stiffens the EX3 structure, an add-on shoulder brace and battery mount plate kit, as well as a battery mount for at least one battery system.
Hi Ted,

Just want to clarify:

Will the EX3 reinforcement plate be available by itself WTHOUT the shoulder brace?

I've been thinking of making something similar to deal with the EX3's poor tripod mount. With a lot of the work I do on documentaries I don't need the shoulder brace—it's hand held, run & gun work, or shooting in an environment where the extra size of the shoulder brace becomes a liability (for example: shooting up in the rigging of a tall ship, or climbing to the top of a cotton gin to follow the “flow” of the cotton through the gin—in later case I doubt I could have got myself and the camera up the narrow ladders and in between the equipment in the gin; in the former, the shoulder brace would have become one more thing that could get entangled in rigging).

If the reinforcement plate and shoulder brace are available separately, and the shoulder brace easily attaches/detaches from the plate (say with a nice quick release mechanism, hint, hint ;), that would do nicely, and I'll promptly order one (or two).

Mark
Mark Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM   #44
Major Player

Yes it will - Jeff wants to accommodate a variety of users. Don't know about quick-release, currently it's a few screws.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:50 AM   #45
Tourist

Quote:
Yes it will - Jeff wants to accommodate a variety of users. Don't know about quick-release, currently it's a few screws.
Then let me be the first to lobby for a quick release attachment for the shoulder brace! :)

That would be incredibly useful in many situations. Plus, I have to admit that the thought of a few screws holding the shoulder brace in place is slightly worrying. Seems like it would be easy to strip them or put excessive strain on them.

Regardless, I'll buy one anyway just for the tripod reinforcement.

Thanks again for the clarification,

Mark
Mark Gamble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds