is there an audio out (other than headphone)? Or... can I split headphone out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Major Player

is there an audio out (other than headphone)? Or... can I split headphone out?

Hi there,
I'm recording two-person interviews sometimes (both XLR inputs used; no mixer), and I'd like to make an mp3 recording, while shooting, so someone can get transcripts made asap. I have a digital recorder with a 1/8" mic input and 1/4" inputs, but I don't know how to get from my EX-1 into this... unless I split the headphone out from the EX-1.
Is that the best idea, or is there a better solution?
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Major Player

You could use the headphone out. You could also plug the AV cable into the camera, take an RCA to 1/8" adapter, and plug that into the recorder.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward. I just found that A/V out... is it a pretty standard kind of cable that fits into this thing? (if one came with my EX, I don't know what I did with it).
I was also thinking that if my headphone out from the EX went directly into my MicroTrack recorder 1/8" audio in, I could then plug my headphones into the headphone out on the MicroTrack. This way I could record the interview and hear it at the same time, to make sure I'm getting clean audio.
Any thoughts on that?
Cheers, malcolm
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Thanks Edward. I just found that A/V out... is it a pretty standard kind of cable that fits into this thing? (if one came with my EX, I don't know what I did with it).
Definitely not a standard cable as it has a mini connector on one end and three RCAs on the other.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
I was also thinking that if my headphone out from the EX went directly into my MicroTrack recorder 1/8" audio in, I could then plug my headphones into the headphone out on the MicroTrack. This way I could record the interview and hear it at the same time, to make sure I'm getting clean audio.
Any thoughts on that?
Cheers, malcolm
Yeah theres a cable that comes with the ex1 that has 3 rca on the other end, video and audio L and R, the other end is some special sony thing. Most likely not so easy to find.

I would agree that recording from the EX1 headphone out and monitoring via MicroTrack is propably the easiest way to get a quick reference recording.

sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Major Player

thank you, people. I'll go from headphone out, to (and through, to headphones so I can monitor audio) the MicroTrack. I appreciate the help. And I'll keep an eye open for that cable just in case.
Malcolm
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
Yeah theres a cable that comes with the ex1 that has 3 rca on the other end, video and audio L and R, the other end is some special sony thing. Most likely not so easy to find.
sami
The cable is easy to order from BH Photo, but a local source would be the Sony Style store.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
The cable is easy to order from BH Photo, but a local source would be the Sony Style store.
Also you can find them on Amazon dot com... and the one I saw (Piotr posted a link here somewhere) has an additional s-vhs cable on it.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The headphone amplifier is a little hissy and is designed to work with a low impedance load such as headphones. The A/V output will be cleaner and a better impedance match to an external recorder. Be careful as many low cost recording devices designed to work with microphones often have powered mic connectors.
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Major Player

thank you for the heads up, Alister. I did check the headphone out>MicroTrack>headphones set-up, and it seems to work well. The MicroTrack is a pretty expensive recording device, so I'm hoping it has the right kind of mic connector.
re the alternative way, which I'd still like to try... I did find the Sony cable that fits in the component out (and has three RCA plugs on the other end), but I still haven't found the A/V cable. I'll keep looking though.
cheers, Malcolm
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Amazon.com: Sony VMC15FS A/V Cable for most Sony MiniDV & DVD Camcorders: Camera & Photo
is this what you are looking for?
Bob
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Major Player

That's it, Bob. Thanks for the link.
Malcolm
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #13
Major Player

Sounds like you have your fix, Malcolm, but in case not: I just worked with a sound guy who had a nice breakaway cable with 2 xlr's, headphone cable, and additional headphone cable off that (so that both mixer and cam could monitor). Don't know where to get it though.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds