Is this a good buy for a used EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this a good buy for a used EX1?

Been offered a ex-demo EX1 for approx 25% off the new price. Its about a year old but has 400 hours of use. . . . dealer says this is mainly from being on a tripod hooked up to a monitor in the showroom. The amount of hours worries me, but for a CMOS camera with no moving parts is that really an issue. . . .any thoughts appreciated.

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, I'd be interested in it personally. If it were offered to me I think I'd buy it!

-- Oops - Correction!!

I thought you said 25% OF the new price, not OFF the new price. At 25% off, I'd consider, but I'd probably wait for a "more used" one as my personal economy seems to be reflected in our national one. OTOH, it's probably not been running on battery (so battery is still good) and it's probably not been recording much, just "on" and viewable. I think that is not a lot of use and worthy of consideration.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Trustee

Personally, I would worry about a demo model that has no warranty left. 25% is a pretty good discount, but nothing amazing.

I would make sure it has none of the backfocus or vignetting issues that were reported for some of the earlier ones. You can search the forums for lots of discussion on that, how to check for it, and what serial numbers were affected.

Also, do you get the extra 8 gig card that Sony offered for a while? That's quite a value if included.
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Forgot to mention comes with a 6 month warranty. Only has the original 8gb card. Has been updated to latest firmware.

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds