zoom adapter cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

zoom adapter cable

Found this cable from Jonyjib. I thought the zoom controller had to be a Lanc version but could this work on a EX1/3?

8 Pin Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220306540277 end time Nov-14-08 09:40:35 PST)

Evan
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Libec sell a controller for the EX1, i've got one, it's called a ZC9-EX, on the end of the original cable is another piece of cable, an adaptor, that's the piece that you're looking at.
So in other words, if you've got an old Libec controller which doesn't fit the EX1 then you can just buy the adaptor cable instead of buying a whole new controller.

Paul.
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Libec sell a controller for the EX1, i've got one, it's called a ZC9-EX, on the end of the original cable is another piece of cable, an adaptor, that's the piece that you're looking at.
So in other words, if you've got an old Libec controller which doesn't fit the EX1 then you can just buy the adaptor cable instead of buying a whole new controller.

Paul.
Paul,

According to Libec Tech Support (Chuy), that won't work. First, they don't sell the adapter cable seperate. Second, the electronics in the controller have changed. If I remember correctly, using the original one with the adapter would cause the lens to constantly creep.

When I spoke with the folks at Bebob (who also sell a zoom controller) they confirmed that the original Libec, the ZC-9Pro, did not use correct electronics when sending the signal to the lens and instead used a basic potentiometer or rheostat that would not give ideal performance.

For the EX1/3, Libec completely re-engineered the internal components so that now it works with the same lenses PLUS the EX cameras. And, of course, they included the adapter cable as well.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys however I was hoping to use my old (Sp betacam) Fujinon zoom control and use this adapter cable. Has anyone experience with the original professional zoom controllers and maybe this cable adapter?

I know I can always get the libec et all controllers but I already have a few of the old controllers for bigger cameras so....

Evan
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Sorry, Even.

Yes, that adapter should work for your situation. Provided you aren't using it with the older Libec controller. That said, I haven't personally tried it, but it is just an adapter and should work fine.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Sorry, Even.

Yes, that adapter should work for your situation. Provided you aren't using it with the older Libec controller. That said, I haven't personally tried it, but it is just an adapter and should work fine.
Thanks Ted, I have a contact who can probably make up an adapter but he/I need a wiring diagram of the EX3 zoom connector and a 8 pin plug to suit! I can order the Jonijib adapter but it's $100 US just for freight so 180.00 US!...which is ridiculous!

I have a few perfectly good, pro zoom controllers and simply need an adapter! And yes, a dealer for Libec here in Australia told me they won't sell their adapter part separately so i'm stuffed there too!

Any one with a diagram?
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Major Player

This is all I have right now.

Paul
Attached Images

Old November 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

$100 for shipping is a joke. It would only cost a few dollars to send by airmail. I've asked the seller for a more sensible shipping rate to the UK. If not I will get a few sent via my parents in the US.
Old November 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've contacted the seller and he has offered to ship it via US postal Service to the UK for $20.
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I've contacted the seller and he has offered to ship it via US postal Service to the UK for $20.
that looks promising! I've emailed him and hopefully he will offer me the same postage option! Thanks Alister!

Evan
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
This is all I have right now.

Paul
Hey Paul, thanks for that! Should help if I can source a 8 pin plug to suit the EX3.

Cheers, Evan
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

My Johny jib cable arrived today. It's well made and works perfectly with my Broadcast Fujinon lens remote. To work with a Canon remote you would need to adapt the canon remote pin out to match the fujinon pin out or use a Canon to Fujinon adapter cable. Certainly the price is right and I can use the same remote for my EX lens or any Fujinon Broadcast lenses on my EX3
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Great Alister, I'm glad it works with the fujinon zoom controller. Do you get smooth/gradual control?

Evan
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I get very smooth control. My Fujinon zoom demand has a speed control as well as the rocker and it gives me great control, just as if using it with a broadcast lens.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #15
Major Player

If you have a VariZoom Pro-C or PG-C the JonyJib adapter now works GREAT, but let John know you have that VariZoom controller.

I have a VariZoom Pro-C controller for my BetaSP rig and HD100 plus a Pro-EX for my EX1.

When I bought the EX1 I called VariZoom to ask about an adapter cable and they said they couldn't make an adapter work. So I bought the Pro-EX but when it arrived I was disappointed to see it didn't have a speed reduction dial like the Pro-C. I hadn't noticed it's omission in the specs. Got to learn to pay more attention!

When I saw Evan Meades' thread, I called John and asked if the Canon to EX1 adapter worked with the Pro-C. He hadn't test that controller, but emailed within a week and said it was now tested and worked.

When my Canon to EX1 adapter cable arrived it worked - but backwards. Not good. My thumb isn't smart enough to remember to push the opposite way whenever I switch cameras and it's going to be on a different camera about every other day.

Called John on Friday (when the adapter arrived) and he said he would work on it over the weekend. Got an email Tuesday saying a new cable was shipped. Arrived today and works perfectly.

Now I need to post my Pro-EX in DV Info classifieds!
George Strother is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds