How can I find previous camera settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 6th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Major Player

How can I find previous camera settings?

Hi
Is there a way to retrieve the camera settings from an old clip using the clip browser or other software (I´m on a mac)?

I was shooting in Paris 2 weeks ago and I find myself going back tomorrow with a demo camera from the dealer and I don´t have the settings I used last time. (I do remember most of it, but would be happy to be sure)
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
Hi
Is there a way to retrieve the camera settings from an old clip using the clip browser or other software (I´m on a mac)?

I was shooting in Paris 2 weeks ago and I find myself going back tomorrow with a demo camera from the dealer and I don´t have the settings I used last time. (I do remember most of it, but would be happy to be sure)
If you still have the cards the original footage was shot on, the settings will be there. That's assuming you didn't change them since then. If you did, and you didn't save the settings file, then they're gone for good.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Gone for good then. Lesson learned.
I thought maybe the information was stored in the meta data somehow
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Gone for good then. Lesson learned.
I thought maybe the information was stored in the meta data somehow
A good thing to do is save the setup.suf file to your laptop or desktop computer. You could put each one in a different folder, depending on the job. That way, when you want to go back to those settings, just reload the setup.suf file to your cards and you're ready to go.
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
A good thing to do is save the setup.suf file to your laptop or desktop computer. You could put each one in a different folder, depending on the job. That way, when you want to go back to those settings, just reload the setup.suf file to your cards and you're ready to go.
Thanks for the tips. Where do I find that file?
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Where do I find that file?
Put the card in the reader (or connect the camera to your computer). Under "My Computer" find the drive letter for your card. There are two folders. In the Sony folder go down through the folders until you read setup.suf and copy it to your hard drive as you would any other file.

Edit:

A word of warning, sharing this file with others will totally erase all settings in your camera and replace them with all news settings from the file. In other words, you can't share just Picture Profiles--it's all or nothing!
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks Jay.
And thanks for the warning.
I´m waiting for my EX-3 and the dealer was kind enough to hand over a demo camera.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds