long wait for EX1 repair at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

long wait for EX1 repair

Hi

My EX1 has been at the Sony Teaneck center since October 13 and as of friday they had no time frame when it will be repaired. I sent it in for the battery drain issue and letter rub off.

This is very frustrating as this is the third time it has been back since I bought it for defects in workmanship. Sony has now had my camera for 2 months out of 10 that I have owned it.

What recourse do I have if they have not fixed it after 20 businesss days?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2

Chuck, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. That's gotta hurt!

If it were me, and I've done this in times past with other "high ticket" items, I've written letters to the president of the compnay. That will require some homework on your part, finding out the name and address of the president of Sony, USA.

At the same time, I also placed phone calls. Never got to speak to the president (JVC), but he got the message! My problem was solved within a week.

Never hurts to try.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Wall View Post
Hi

My EX1 has been at the Sony Teaneck center since October 13 and as of friday they had no time frame when it will be repaired. I sent it in for the battery drain issue and letter rub off.

This is very frustrating as this is the third time it has been back since I bought it for defects in workmanship. Sony has now had my camera for 2 months out of 10 that I have owned it.

What recourse do I have if they have not fixed it after 20 businesss days?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Chuck
Chuck.

My wait time for warranty work (Which is what Sony is calling the rubbed paint/back focus/battery drain repair, took 20 working days on my camera. Meaning 4 weeks. What i did find VERY interesting is my paperwork from Sony saying NOTHING about these repairs. Just the firmware update,clean and check units operation. To quote work order sent back to me from Sony Teaneck

" Performed UPG3447J. Replaced Grip Handle, Upgraded software, Clean and check units operation"

Nowhere did i request the GRIP HANDLE to be replaced. None of the repairs i did request were on Sony's description of services provided.

I do know this. The Battery drain issue was fixed. A new PCB was installed in the camera. I know this, as i had to open the cameras body to correct the rattling caused by the 2 ceramic chokes moving freely on 2 wiring harnesses.

The left side and back panel rubbed off paint issue was also corrected. The back focus issue was corrected.

In NO way was a Grip handle replaced on my camera. I did not request this and do not understand why this was on my paperwork
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just checking to see which service center you sent the Camera to be serviced,San Jose or NJ? I have until Feb. to send my back in by I am waiting for a break in the action. I really can not afford the 4 week period.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm in the same boat, and would be interested if there are other better stories out there about turnaround. I kind of feel like "if it ain't broke..." I have the battery drain but the focus is fine and I'm not worried about the paint or firmware for now. Am I being remiss in not sending it in by its anniversary, which is the end of December? Anyone know what those repairs will cost if I wait till after a year?
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It's unfortunate to hear these stories, as I have to send mine in now for the standard problems (battery drain, peeling paint, etc.) but I was hoping the turnaround would be a little bit better since the Teaneck facility is 8 miles from me. I guess if they take too long I could always stop by...Also, why are we paying for a FW update?

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I found out today the they should have the camera repairs completed on Tuesday. That would make it 22 business days in their hands (over a month out of my hands)

Sony Service in Teaneck NJ.

Last two time I sent it to San Jose which was the only option given to me at that time.
Shipping was a killer so I jumped at the opportunity to send to Teaneck. In retrospect that may have cost me more...

Just seems to be excessive since they should know how many cams to expect back for the defects that are well known.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #8
New Boot

It is excessive. I've stopped dealing with that repair center for the same reasons.
Alex Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Has anyone had their camera serviced recently in San Jose? I would rather pay the shipping to CA if they have a better turn around time.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Just checking to see which service center you sent the Camera to be serviced,San Jose or NJ? I have until Feb. to send my back in by I am waiting for a break in the action. I really can not afford the 4 week period.
Hello Charles.

I do not question the QUALITY of workmanship performed by the Teaneck NJ Sony service center. I am happy with the results. What i do question is the turn around time. Many of us are working camera men. We need our equipment to ply our trade. I think we all know Sony understands this. I would image we are suffering multiple issues in regards to EX-1 warranty repair service.

One being parts. Many of the current problems with the EX-1 series are hardware related. i.e side and back panel replacement, printed circuit board and or electronic part replacement to address the battery drain issue. Then you have the back focus to address, which is also a mechanical fix.

One has to take into consideration the shipping time, the ordering of parts time, that would have to come from asia. Then the backlog of EX-1's on the bench so to speak @ Sony's Teaneck NJ facility.

I personally question why Sony has not made a public statement regarding the known issues with the EX-1 ! Sony IS honoring their warranty, but one has to question the need to be so quiet about it.
Matthew Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Collins View Post
I'm in the same boat, and would be interested if there are other better stories out there about turnaround. I kind of feel like "if it ain't broke..." I have the battery drain but the focus is fine and I'm not worried about the paint or firmware for now. Am I being remiss in not sending it in by its anniversary, which is the end of December? Anyone know what those repairs will cost if I wait till after a year?
Do the firmware yourself. It's pretty easy and out of the things you listed the most important because it will enable you to use incrediby cheaper storage cards for your video rather than the 24 carat gold SxS cards.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Don't forget the EX1 upgrade includes 2 new PCb's(printed circuit boards), along with a new back plate.
If you wait until later , who knows what the cost would be.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Back in July, I had my EX1 fixed in 1 day.

I had my Sony fixed in 1 day in San Jose. I dropped it off, and picked it up the next day. I even talked with the engineers and had a few questions answered. They fixed the vignette problem, back focus, battery drain, firmware upgrade and put on new painted section covers - replacing the worn off paint. After a 20 day shoot in Hawaii, I can say all has worked well.

The battery drain is much less - but I still unplug it every night for recharge.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Got it back today 23 business days at sony.. I wanted to mention they did update the firmware without me asking to 1.1

Glad to have it back.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds