DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Using Windows-PC laptop for storing SxS cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137437-using-windows-pc-laptop-storing-sxs-cards.html)

Buck Forester November 8th, 2008 08:15 PM

Using Windows-PC laptop for storing SxS cards

Hola. Another very basic question from me. I just bought a Dell laptop for the sole purpose of field dumping my SxS cards. My editing computer is a new Mac Pro but my laptop is Windows. Do I need Clip Browser downloaded on my laptop in order to offload my SxS cards? Or can I just transfer the files as is into a folder? I won't be editing with my laptop. I've never worked with these BPAV files other than inserting the SxS cards into my Sony SxS reader on my Mac and then importing them using XDCAM Transfer. I haven't been using Clip Browser at all. I just want to make sure I have this field workflow down before I actually take it out there. Gracias.

Kevin Walsh November 8th, 2008 08:51 PM

You can transfer The BPAV folders as is. If you want to make two simultaneous copies and have the computer check for errors you might want to look into shotput express.
ShotPut EXpress - Video Offloading for Mac and Windows I always make at least two copies on separate drives before I wipe a card.

Buck Forester November 8th, 2008 08:59 PM

Cool... easier than I thought. Thanks so much, Kevin. I have a Lacie Rugged USB harddrive to make backup copies.

Ray Bell November 8th, 2008 09:25 PM

Western Digital just released a new portable HD... its called the My Passport Studio...

They don't show it on the WD website yet (500GB version) but I bought one at Best Buy this morning...

Its got 3 way interface... USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800... works with Windows
or Apple or if you want you can partition it so half of it is Apple and the other half is
Windows... very fast and very small, about the size of a small paperback... case logic
even has a carry case for it...

WD also has a HD media player that the Studio plugs into so you can play your footage
on any TV or monitor that has HDMI/Composite inputs... its full blown 1080P

It also is about the size of a paperback book..., plays music and photo slide show too.

Ted OMalley November 9th, 2008 09:48 AM

It's listed there now...

My Passport Studio 500 GB Triple Interface Hard Drives ( WDMT5000 )

Buck Forester November 9th, 2008 10:24 AM

That harddrive looks good but I need something more rugged for the wilds, mine will be bouncing around in my backpack and kayak on multi-day trips.

Ray Bell November 9th, 2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Forester (Post 961389)
That harddrive looks good but I need something more rugged for the wilds, mine will be bouncing around in my backpack and kayak on multi-day trips.

Its made of metal.... could use a small pelican case to put it in....

Chuck Spaulding November 9th, 2008 12:12 PM

I don't care for Lacie drive very much, but you might want to check this one out.

LaCie - Rugged Hard Disk - Hi-Speed USB 2.0

Buck Forester November 9th, 2008 11:20 PM

Funny thing, I bought a Lacie Rugged 320GB harddrive (All-Terrain, Firewire 800/400 and USB 2). I hooked it up last night to my laptop and it's only showing 9.99 MB total disk space (yes, that's with an "M", ha!). So far my experience with Lacie is not good.

Peter Kraft November 9th, 2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Forester (Post 961626)
So far my experience with Lacie is not good.

You are not the only one and you won't be the last one, unfortunately. They do not have a good track record. :-(

Mark Twittey November 10th, 2008 02:40 PM

Try these drives, Freecom ToughDrive 320GB.
http://www.freecom.com/
I have 2 and they have had some abuse and still work!
Another bonus is they have a built in Cable.