DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Working Combo: EX1 + MRC1 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137503-working-combo-ex1-mrc1.html)

Peter Kraft November 10th, 2008 05:01 AM

Working Combo: EX1 + MRC1 ?

Asking just out of curiousity: Has anyone ever tried to match the Sony HVR-MRC1K CF Card recorder with an EX 1 in SP mode?

The MRC1 makes the Sony Z5, Z7 and Z270 capable to enjoy flash memory recording instead of tape or harddisk recording. It is said to work with various other HDV cameras as well, also non-Sony. Connection is achieved through a standard firewire cable and, yes, the recorder records in sync with the start/stop of the camera.

With the MRC1 at appr. 630€ + VAT, it is less expensive then a 16GB SxS Card it might be an interesting alternative for users with an HDV camera and an EX1 to SDHC or SxS flash memory recording.

Any thoughts?

Link to MRC1: Sony Product Detail Page - HVRMRC1K

Kevin Walsh November 10th, 2008 07:28 PM

I'm not sure how you would do this. The EX-1 doesn't have a firewire port.

Jon Sands November 10th, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh (Post 961955)
I'm not sure how you would do this. The EX-1 doesn't have a firewire port.

Uhhhh it sure does.

Kevin Walsh November 10th, 2008 07:58 PM

Oops, sorry about that. I forgot iLink was Sony's name for firewire.

Kevin Walsh November 10th, 2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh (Post 961964)
Oops, sorry about that. I forgot iLink was Sony's name for firewire.

As penance I just hooked up my HVR-MRC1 to the EX-1 and it seems to work fine. You can trigger the MRC1 from the camera, a little lag when recording to SXS at the same time, but no lag when going straight to the CF only.

Peter Kraft November 11th, 2008 06:34 AM

Kevin,
thank you so much. Highly appreciated. Just wanted to make sure I can use SxS 8GB for normal work and a BIG 32 or 64CF in case if extra long takes are a nesessity (meetings, key events and so forth). SxS/16GB and 32GB would be too expensive for that kind of customers who tend to ask for "the original" at the end of the day.
While SDHC might help to achieve the same result, I do not have enough confidence yet in such "un-official" workflows.

Thanx again. Pe.

Ronn Kilby November 11th, 2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh (Post 961970)
As penance I just hooked up my HVR-MRC1 to the EX-1 and it seems to work fine. You can trigger the MRC1 from the camera, a little lag when recording to SXS at the same time, but no lag when going straight to the CF only.

Which CF card did you try? I see (link below) some "QMemory" brand 32GB cards for $99 and SanDisk Extreme III 16GB for $150. Wondering if the cheaper cards will work.

Compact Flash Cards, CompactFlash Cards, CF Cards

Paul Newman November 11th, 2008 11:50 AM

I must point out that for 630 euros you could buy 250GB of SDHC memory and a couple of Kensington Adapters, as well as record to HQ.

The SDHC combo is well tested and totally reliable, I've stopped using my SxS cards except for overcranking, I'm about to sell my 16gb SxS as its of no use to me at all, I'm carrying 12, 16gb Ultra II's in my camera bag, around 12 hours of HQ recording !

I fully understand wanting to record SP to 32GB CF cards, great for conferences and the like, and cool to pass to the client at the end of a shoot, as with SDHC.

Paul

Kevin Walsh November 11th, 2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby (Post 962173)
Which CF card did you try? I see (link below) some "QMemory" brand 32GB cards for $99 and SanDisk Extreme III 16GB for $150. Wondering if the cheaper cards will work.

Compact Flash Cards, CompactFlash Cards, CF Cards

I used a Transcend 16GB 300x. I have had a lot of problems with cards slower than 300x. (133x and 150X)