ex1/3 accessory package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Major Player

ex1/3 accessory package

I was looking at bh, they have an accessory package for the ex3, it includes a wide angle adapter, anyone have this package, and is it worth it?

it also includes a 2 year extended warranty, an extra 16gb card, extra 60min battery, card reader and carrying case.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I didn't purchase a bundle, but I did purchase the Sony Zoom-through wide angle adapter for around $500.

I wouldn't spend extra money on the 16gb SxS card - the SDHC solution is much cheaper and works great. Transcend cards are even cheaper and are working flawlessly for me.

Extra battery is probably a good idea, the BPU-60 should last a few hours - at least that is what I've read reported by owners of it. Personally, I like the large Anton-Bauer or IDX batteries; I'm getting about six hours of use (not recording the whole time) out of a charge. Plus, if you want to use the camera in a shoulder-mount position, if the battery can be mounted further back, the lens weight really drops and makes it much easier to use.
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Major Player

can you fill me in on the SDHC solution?

do you know if they make an adapter for the IDX batteries? I know they make a gold mount for AB, but if they make it for IDX, I am good to go, seeing as I have those batteries on my other camera (i would imagine the V adapter for the JVC HD100 doesnt work on the ex3).

how do you like the lens?
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Major Player

wait, I found a bunch of threads on it, no need to start another one here. thanks!
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I hope I didn't confuse you - the SDHC solution has become so popular (Kensington card reader with a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card) and many have found that the Transcend cards are working well also (and they are half the price).

The mount we're working on will first be offered without a mount. Shortly after, we're hoping to offer it optionally with an Anton-Bauer mount, and finally, optionally again, with an IDX mount. Since AB will come first, there is an adapter to get from that to IDX -

IDX | A-AB2E V-Mount Adapter Plate | A-AB2E | B&H Photo Video

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the stock lens. I'd love it to be wider and longer (of course), but really, it works well. When I do need to go wider, the Sony wide adapter works well.

You also mentioned you were looking for a carrying case. There are several options, but I think the consensus is that if you like a more standard carrying case, the Kata CC-197 is ideal. Also, Porta-Brace has a new one for it. If you like the backpack style case, the Kata BP-250 can't be beat (and I have a spare if you're interested).

All in all - great camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds