DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Files that won't convert? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137648-files-wont-convert.html)

Marc Myers November 12th, 2008 11:09 AM

Files that won't convert?

I shot a conference two weeks ago that included several presenters. One presentation is giving me grief. It simply won't convert. It plays back fine from the camera or with Sony's software but I tried AVI and MXF. No good, both stop somewhere during conversion. I don't have this trouble with any of the other files I shot that day and I've also tried two different computers, moving the file from the card to the hard drive first, etc., etc. My solution is to convert with hardware: downconverting to SDI through a PDW-F75 and then capturing on the fly into my editor. But this is a huge kluge. Anyone else have this kinds of strangeness?

Kenny Cowburn November 12th, 2008 11:22 AM

Transferr / conversion problems

I am also having similar problems, although only with MXF files not being supported by Avid Liquid, I sometimes get the error message file/compression not supported, but only for some of the files, while some come through fine?????????? (in the same import batch)
re-importing the same file again doesnīt help either

I am currently a bit under-gunned as far as editing hardware is concerned, which could well be the problem, the funny thing is, some of the files can be imported while others canīt.
This strikes me as kind of strange, as all the files are the same compression/codec.....

I have experienced absolutely no problems with AVI files though.

Iīd be glad if anyone could help out with a solution

Jay Gladwell November 12th, 2008 11:28 AM

Kenny, which version of Clip Browser are you using?

Marc Myers November 12th, 2008 11:38 AM

Kenny, I use Liquid as well but this is going bad before I ever open my editing application.
The Sony software just quits diring converson. I look for a file (even a broken one) and find nothing on the target drive. And I'm also interested in which version of the software you are using. There weren't many options in 1.1 but I had no trouble with it.

Kenny Cowburn November 21st, 2008 05:35 AM

Iīm using clip browser 2.0, which I downloaded from:

Sony : XDCAM EX Clip Browsing Software V2.0 : Deutschland

it appears not to be a full version, one can download extra upgrades to the full version here

MainConcept: Conversion Packs
or hit the help button and then the 2nd option īMAIN CONCEPT VERSION(M)`

which I havenīt done yet and am not planning to, untill I upgrade my hardware to handle HD.
(Iīm running on a pantium 4, 2,56 Ghz processor with 3 gigs of RAM, and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 pro AGP graphic card with 512mb RAM)
I did get a render beast from HP recently, the whole process (export, import and editing) worked just fine and really fast too, unfortunately without sound????, the problem was the thing had Vista 64bit on it, which I couldnīt get rid of, because the processor (ATOM Core2 Quad) aparently wonīt run properly with XP
I only found out afterwards, that Liquid isnīt certified for Vista, so I got rid of the thing the next day
I had left it running overnight and by morning, it had chucked my projects completely, I couldnīt find a single trace that they had ever existed

The version 2,0 clip browser is much better than the version 1,1 because you can setup target files in the clip browser software itself, saving having to creat target files prior to opening the software, there are also more export options, not just MXF for NLE

I did have the problem with the Clip browser just coming to a standstill, but after replacing my old CPU cooling fan, itīs working just fine, just a bit too slow, I reckon my system was just getting too hot, churning full tilt

Need to get a PC that can handle the raw material.......

Marc have you checked out what your CPU is churning while converting?
what hardware are you running on?

Sorry I took so long to get back, been busy getting ready for winter

Peter Kraft November 21st, 2008 08:02 AM

Google for Clip Browser Version 2.00.01 (002.004)

It's a minor update for reasons outlined here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ser-2-0-a.html

See messages #7 - 14

P.

Ted OMalley November 21st, 2008 10:02 AM

On a couple occasions, I've had issues with files that were related to software glitches. It required closing all components of the software in Task Manager (no, not working on a Mac). Then everything worked fine. I suppose I could have rebooted, but I only do that about twice a month.