Shutter speeds. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter speeds.

Hello,

Maybe a dumb question but can someone give me a brief overview of shutter speeds and in what circumstances they should be used. I find the whole "rolling shutter" and "shutter on off" stuff all very confusing!

I think with all the shooting modes the EX1 has, this all gets confusing!

Many thanks

Darren
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

Shutter speed have nothing to do with rolling shutter issue. Or it should not.
Shutter speed change the time the sensor is exposed to light. The more you expose, the more light you get, but the more blury is your picture.
Shutter OFF, on the EX1, means you have a shutter equal to the shooting rate : 1/25 at 25 fps, 1/50 at 50fps, and so on.
If this is too slow for you and want sharper picture, doubble the value : 1/50 when shooting 25fps. You will lose some light, though.

High shutter speed, let's say over 1/100, will add a "strobing" effect on the picture. This is something you can see in some war or action movies. This help having a really fast moving action sharp.
Finaly, if you are in a really bright situation, setting a high shutter speed will help keeping the aperture open and preserve the depth of field. Exactly the same when you add neutral filters. Once again, you will also add the strobing effect...

I don't want to be rude, but shutter speed is one of the basics settings of a camera and apply to still camera, argentic camera and video camera, even if the way it work is different with digital sensors.
If you really don't know what is the shutter, you should google for it and learn how it work, how to use it and go testing.

I hope this helped.
Old November 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Hi,

keeping the aperture open and preserve the depth of field.
"preserve" might be confusing in this context. A wide aperture gives a shallow DOF.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds