BH shopping cart at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Major Player

BH shopping cart

so I am getting ready to purchase the ex3, and I am on revision number 33 to the shopping cart.

in it I have:

ex3
century optics WA lens .6
2 8gb SxS cards (I will be getting a 3rd with a rebate)
2 bu60 batteries plus bu30 that comes with camera
a tiffen clear filter
porta brace rain cover
and the cinebags cb-25 backpack.

I shoot mostly news, and seeing as this is an upgrade camera, I already have the sound gear and other equipment. this is just the camera and necessities for the camera to make it fully functional as soon as I get it.

would you change anything?

the WA lens was a debate between the .6 of the .8. I dont know how wide the camera lens is, but figured being a 14x, it was going to be fine for day to day, and for the really tight spaces, the .6 will be a better option than the .8.

I am relying on the info on this site that says to do the SDHC adapter for cheaper cards. but if that doesnt prove reliable. I will be returning the cards and getting 2 16gb cards instead.

maybe sometime down the road I will do the AB adapter kit for bigger batteries, but it sounds like these batteries offer about 4 hours per charge, and thats good enough for me as I wont be running any top lights at the moment.

if you have any suggestions let me know. I am hoping to get my camera sold tomorrow, and purchase the new one tomorrow afternoon, or saturday.

thanks!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Ian,

The century optics WA lens is a fisheye lens. It is also NOT a zoom-through. So, once on you lens, it is like a prime lens - no zooming. If this is what you are after, that's fine.

The Sony WA is only .7 (or .8?), but is is a zoom through. For some venues, I leave and on and zoom in and out to frame shots rather than having to physically move the camera - much more flexible. Also, the EX cams have a Wide Angle switch in the menus that corrects for some of the wide angle problems to make things look a little better. Also, it is a little cheaper.

Go whichever way you want, but I wanted to bring that to your attention.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

SxS cards -

The camera comes with one card, the rebate provides a second.

Are you sure you want two additional cards when you can have a 16GB Transcend card and Kensington reader for under $75? Or two sets for under $150? You can always get SxS later (and they'll only become more affordable). Within a year, the 16GB SxS cards will be on par with today's price for 8GB cards.

Just a thought.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Batteries...

I've heard good things about the batteries - they are lasting about four hours. You can get longer life from an Anton-Bauer or IDX system (around six hours), but it's runs about $1000. However, the stock batteries can't power a light or other device like the AB or IDX systems can.

Granted, the big batteries add considerable weight, but if you are doing much handheld work, a shoulder-mount like the one I'm building or the VF Gadgets one will not only handle a large battery well, but, in the case of my mount, the battery becomes a ballast, lightening the lens considerably as well as insuring a better fit on your tripod and preventing the cheap mount Sony built from breaking.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/961704-post15.html

Again, just a thought.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Tiffen Clear filter -

Two schools of thought on this, and I subscribe to both making me very confused. Adding a cheap filter to the front of expensive optics can only degrade the image. It can add reflections, etc., and the lens is designed to handle regular, gentle cleaning.

The other side of the arguement - it's a measure of protection that would be foolish to go without - your lens' first line of defense and now you can clean a 'disposable' filter and in many situations, you won't notice any reflections or problems.

I know of one EX3 that will accept that filter with the sony hood in place. I also know of one EX3 that will NOT accept that filter with the Sony hood in place - and that one is mine.

So, due to the very cool design of the sony hood with it's louvers (quite protective), I opted to forego the filter and just clean it carefully.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Major Player

ted, thanks for the advice, I will look into some other lenses. I knew it wasnt zoom through, but wasnt sure about the fisheye.

about the SxS card. when I click on "item includes", it doesnt mention an 8gb card. which I thought was weird, but not unheard of. if thats the case, then I will be re-thinking the ammount of SxS cards I really need (maybe. I do want the real ones in addition to the kensington adapter, for the peace of mind, as well as overcranking ability. I do want to order an extra, because I know the rebate will take a while to get to me.

as far as batteries. I have the IDX system now, love them to death, but I am really looking forward to having a smaller camera again. I will sacrifice the top light for now. I rarely use it anyway. which is why I think I will be satisfied with the stock batteries.

thanks for the response!
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Tiffen Clear filter -

Two schools of thought on this, and I subscribe to both making me very confused. Adding a cheap filter to the front of expensive optics can only degrade the image. It can add reflections, etc., and the lens is designed to handle regular, gentle cleaning.

The other side of the arguement - it's a measure of protection that would be foolish to go without - your lens' first line of defense and now you can clean a 'disposable' filter and in many situations, you won't notice any reflections or problems.

I know of one EX3 that will accept that filter with the sony hood in place. I also know of one EX3 that will NOT accept that filter with the Sony hood in place - and that one is mine.

So, due to the very cool design of the sony hood with it's louvers (quite protective), I opted to forego the filter and just clean it carefully.

man, you are quick!

yeah, I always throw one on, i would rather replace that then the lens! I agree about it degrading the quality in some cases. i will just watch it carefully for now. I wonder why some do accept and some dont?
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Raincover and BackPack -

I've heard that the PortaBrace raincover is a little snug/tight in spots like it wasn't made for the camera. This is proabaly because it was made to fit cameras like the JVC HD100 or the Canon XL1/2. If you need it right away, you could get a worse one. I'm waiting for another model designed for the EX3 to come out. Apparantly, you can't get to almost any contols when it is on.

Regarding the BackPack - Have you seen this thread?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...le-ex-3-a.html

If you change your mind and are interested in the Kata - PM me.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't mean to take over this thread, just trying to help. I made a bunch of wrong choices (for me) when I first bought my camera and I'd hate to see someone else make them as well.

Good Luck and welcome to the world of EX1/3!!
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Major Player

ted,

I really appreciate all the advice. thats why posted before purchasing. I dont want to make any choices I will regret. I did that once already. thats why I am looking to upgrade.

I will look again at the rain cover. it doesnt look like the one they made for the HD100 (I have that one) but I will research that some more.

as for the backpack, I will check out the thread. I emailed cinebag asking about it, but never heard back. I was looking for a backpack style, as when I am traveling, I want to be able to carry my laptop in there as well, instead of two bags (given airlines now, the less bags the better!).

thanks again, and if you think of anything else let me know!
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Major Player

Sony | VCL-EX0877 0.8x Wide Angle Lens Adapter | VCL-EX0877

this is the only sony lens I could find for the ex1/3, and its a .8...is there a .7 somewhere?
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
ex3
century optics WA lens .6
I have the EX1 and the Century .6x adapter lens. This lens is NOT a fisheye. They do have a fisheye, but it is not the .6x lens.

It is quite a good lens, but you cannot zoom AT ALL when using it. You must keep the fuji lens on full wide. If you try to zoom you start to see vignetting and increasing CA and softness.

The lens is great for close work, but I would not (do not) use it for panorama shots.

Hope that helps.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #13
Major Player

is the stock lens on the ex1 pretty wide to begin with?
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
I have the EX1 and the Century .6x adapter lens. This lens is NOT a fisheye. They do have a fisheye, but it is not the .6x lens.
Perhaps it doesn't carry that label, John, but the footage that I have that was shot with it certainly has issues where parallel lines are concerned. Things do bow in it. And it looks a little weird if the camera pans as well.
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
ted,

I really appreciate all the advice. thats why posted before purchasing. I dont want to make any choices I will regret. I did that once already. thats why I am looking to upgrade.

I will look again at the rain cover. it doesnt look like the one they made for the HD100 (I have that one) but I will research that some more.

as for the backpack, I will check out the thread. I emailed cinebag asking about it, but never heard back. I was looking for a backpack style, as when I am traveling, I want to be able to carry my laptop in there as well, instead of two bags (given airlines now, the less bags the better!).

thanks again, and if you think of anything else let me know!

The Kata does hold a notebook as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds