2 questions.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Trustee

2 questions....

1. Might be a silly one, but are you EX1/3 owners out there happy with your purchase - esp all the news regarding the Nikon/Mark II & Red Scarlet?

Basically, given the price and everything else, would you still buy this camera now?

2. Is the Ex3 worth the up-grade/added price?

Still thinking seriously about this camera, but I would like to get some of your input plus see the reviews from the Mark II.

Thanks everyone -

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Call me old fashioned, but aren't the Nikon and the MarkII ( Toyota? Canon? er ) not video, high definition production cameras, I still fail to grasp a direct comparison between an EX1 and a Nikon. I know very well that the Nikon can shoot moving pictures, but I'm not ready to do a live, three hour concert recording with 5 of them. I own an EX1, apart from a few minor wrinkles, it out-performs anything I could ever have dreamed of actually owning.

The EX series are a here and now family of cameras, they are available, relatively cheap and the results look great Sunny featuring Dennis Le Gree on Vimeo

I'll probably pick up an EX3 as well, just so I can pull the lens off and attach one of my Nikon's lens' to it !

Paul
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Love my EX3. I'll probably buy an EX1 so that I'll have a more compact camera for times that call for it.
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Major Player

I love my EX3 and EX1 but I do already have the D90 and will probably get a 5dmkII to test. They do very different things. The SLRs can do great shallow depth of field, ultra wide angle, and very low light in a way an EX can't. The EX has proper audio, proper all in one zoom lens, proper record times, proper controls for video.

If I was on a budget I would probably look at getting an EX-1 and a 5DmkII right now instead of an EX3. But then I already have all the lenses for the Canon.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Major Player

can't beat the EX cameras

The EX makes extraordinary pictures, if it cost far more it would still be a great value. I use both the EX 1 and the EX 3, and prefer using the 3 for the viewfinder and general button placement. For now I use the EX 1 with the letus and my Nikon primes, but that comes off often for multiple camera shoots.
The still cameras that shoot video are a grand experiment, and make wonderful pictures but they not designed to create moving pictures. In a generation or two when the still camera electronics end up in video/film camera form everything we now use will be obsolete.
But that day is still around a corner or two. In the meantime, have fun with the EX cams.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Trustee

Just as a note, I currently use a JVC100 and generally speaking (except for editing nightmares; horrible low light performance) think it was a great bang for the buck.

That said, it seems as though the EX-1/3 is a full step beyond/above the JVC. Would you guys say that's the case?

john
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The Canon 5D shoots beautiful images and as all ready discussed the DoF is excellent, giving the images a more film like look. The drawback is two major things, and again most of this has been covered. 1- Audio, would be very tedious to sync AV together every time you shot something. 2- Video, the card only holds on average according to Vincent roughly 12 mins a shot would not be very practical.
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Major Player

The EX1 is nice, but producing high quality SD DVD from it is difficult and there have been some issues with the quality control. Not sold on the tapeless format.

So far I like my VX2000 better. Incredible camera. Time will tell though.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
Just as a note, I currently use a JVC100 and generally speaking (except for editing nightmares; horrible low light performance) think it was a great bang for the buck.

That said, it seems as though the EX-1/3 is a full step beyond/above the JVC. Would you guys say that's the case?

john
Completely agree. Sold a pair of JVC HD100's to purchase my EX3 - totally worth it. The EX3 is far, far better. AND it's tapeless!
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Trustee

Ted - what kind of work do you use it for? I do some commercials, but primarily shoot indie horror/sci-fi films. Could you go into some specifics as to why the EX-1 is better?

Man, I'm asking way more than 2 questions, aren't I?

john
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Trustee

get what is great NOW and that is the ex1/ ex3
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post

john
i am shooting with the 100 as well. and it is getting ready to be sold so I can purchase the ex3.

main reason is the terrible low light performance, as you mentioned. I am gettin really excited!
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Major Player

I have an EX1 and I can't put it down. The footage is amazing. If we go to the park, the zoo, eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, have people over, play in the backyard, etc., I'm always shooting. It drives my wife crazy and sometimes even my 2 year old will tell me, "daddy, put the camera down", ha ha! The footage is just so sweet though, I'm practicing with it every moment I get until I can start shooting wilderness adventures. I even took my jib to the local park yesterday evening with my EX1, filming my boy going down the slides and riding his tricycle. How many dudes do you see jibbing their kid playing in the neighborhood park?! ha ha! My wife loves the footage too, it defnitely has a WOW! factor for technicality, although she claims it adds a few pounds to her backside. :Ž

Anyway, ya, I'm happy with my purchase.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Trustee

glad you are happy Buck! EX1 and jib home movies! Awesome!
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Inner Circle

John you are asking a questions that a lot video camera shoppers are thinking about this fall.

I agree the Scarlet sounds very interesting and could be a excellent camera. The key words are “could be” this camera might not be out for a year or more. If it was out now I would buy the 2/3" removable lens model and keep my EX1. But since it is not out I am thinking about a EX3 to go with my EX1. But the glass is expensive and a stock lens on an EX3 well why when I have a EX1. But a nice wide Fujinon lens and a high quality Fujinon zoom lens along with a few prime lens now that is a different story. So if you need a camera in the next few months EX1/3 is a great way to go.

Now i do not know about the Nikon camera but my close buddy who shoots with the top of the line Canon cameras for a living was very disappointed in their camera that shoots video

John Peterson I disagree with you that the EX1/3 does not do excellent SD DVD's. There are some great threads on this site that will help you adjust your settings which will shock you at the quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds