DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Help with S&Q motion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137798-help-s-q-motion.html)

Devin Termini November 14th, 2008 09:40 PM

Help with S&Q motion

Hi all.

I've read some posts here about the slow & quick motion settings of this camera. Some helpful, some not so helpful. I'm really lost here. I haven't experimented with it since I really don't know how to set it up.

Maybe in very simple terms, could someone explain what exactly is this camera doing to achieve overcranking?

Ted OMalley November 14th, 2008 09:51 PM

It is actually recording additional frames. Not duplicate frames, mind you, but additional real frames. If you were set up for 30p and you overcrank to 60p, then it is recording 60 frames per second at the quality level of the 30 frames. When you play this back, it plays at half speed and there is no jitter or stepping from frame to frame.

If you were to slow down regular 24p or 30p footage to half speed, you'd begin to see each frame rather than smooth, fluid motion. Overcranking takes care of this.

Undercranking is just the opposite, tremendous flexibility in speeding up footage.

Jon Sands November 14th, 2008 10:34 PM

In really really simple terms, go into the menu and turn it on. Set the number to 60 for really slowmo smooth footage, set it to 1 for really really really fast sped up footage

Erik Phairas November 14th, 2008 10:48 PM

this video is nothing but 720x30p set to 60fps overcranking. All I did was hold down the S&Q button on the EX3 and turn the dial until it said 60/30

I also set the shutter speed to 1/2000 to keep all the fast moving details sharp. But that only works in bright light...

YouTube - FSW 11-08 slow motion races

Steven Thomas November 15th, 2008 06:33 AM

Erik,
you may want to try out vimeo for your videos. Vimeo image quality blows away Youtube

Jon Sands November 15th, 2008 10:25 AM

He already uses Vimeo I believe. Was checking out his stuff the other day.

Erik Phairas November 15th, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 964018)
Erik,
you may want to try out vimeo for your videos. Vimeo image quality blows away Youtube

Yea I put the main video on vimeo and all the footage left over on youtube... if you watch in in high quality it's not so bad.. :)

Four Stroke Wars Dumont 11-08-08 on Vimeo

Chad Hucal November 17th, 2008 10:10 PM

Vimeo videos do look much better, and larger. The only issue I've seen with clips there though is they tend to stutter or freeze while the video downloads. I know the files are much larger than YouTube's, and I do have a fast internet connection, but that little detail is a distraction for me. If I post a music video for someone there and as they watch it it pauses (even for only a second) half a a dozen times, that takes away from the fluidity of the clip.

Does anyone else find that clips there pause often?

Jon Sands November 17th, 2008 11:05 PM

I've just been using exposureroom. Converts it into 3 different files, and the default medium size retains tons of detail for the average viewer, while not pausng or stuttering on playback. Also, there's no silly "1 hd upload a week" crap

Erik Phairas November 17th, 2008 11:52 PM

all the videos on vimeo play smooth as butter for me...even while loading.. maybe my connection is better? I upgrade to plus so I get unlimited HD and 2 gigs a week.